My fish tricked me!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Sooooo, about a month ago I was starting to tear down a 75g tank to move other fish into it, and upgrade the current inhabitants. I found my Neolamp Meeli guarding over half of the tank and teeny tiny fry all over the place. I went ahead and removed the adult Meeli, Daffodils, Trets, and V. Moorii that were in that tank, into their new 125g.
The fry were too tiny for me to catch and move, so they've been growing out in a bare 75 gallon for the last month. This weekend I noticed something - 6 or so of them are getting the mottled gray and black pattern as the adult Meeli while the remaining hundred fry look nothing the same! They're starting to get a nice irredescent outline to their fins and what appears to be a lyertail forming. I think my Daffodils spawned without my knowledge and the Meeli were guarding their fry. Oh, the surprises and adventures of the aquarium.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
I just took a few pictures of them. In the first couple pictures are the fry I suspect are Daffodils and in the third picture is one I think is a Meeli. Both kinds of fry are in the last picture. I'll be very happy if these are Daffodil fry - the adults are stunning!

daff fry (2).JPG daffs maybe.JPG meeli fry.JPG fry.JPG

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
the third pic is a Lepidiolamprologus hecqui
I purchased them as Neolamp Meeli, which is the trade name for Lepid. Hecqui from what I read in my Konings book. I refer to them as Meeli since that's what I bought them as, but I agree with you, they are more commonly known as Hecqui. The parents were guarding ALL of these fry, so until this weekend, I thought that's what all of these fry were!

Thanks Mike and Kerry for the compliments - I can't wait to watch them grow up!

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
that's cool. you'll have to update this thread periodically so we can also watch them grow.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
You are right, those on the first pics are daffodil fry. Look these 2 daffodil fry in my daffodil colony tank:

daffodil crías-2.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store