10g Paludarium (maybe) build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pedzola

AC Members
Aug 26, 2005
I've been out of the aquarium game for a couple of years now, and decided to get back in with something a little different.

I was inspired by this thread on a 5.5g paludarium and decided to try to do something similar w/a 10g tank.

I am starting completely from scratch on this, and just ordered some equipment to get started after a few days of researching.

I can get a 10g glass tank locally for cheap, so I ordered the following...

Glass top
Incandescent strip light (in which I plan to install 2 6500k CFL's)
Duetto DJ50 filter
Stealth 50w heater
Eco Complete substrate

So next I'll pick up the tank itself, and then worry about the scape... was thinking cork but geez it's expensive. Looks like about $72 shipped for a large chunk to CT from a recommended seller. Couldn't find any locally except for very small pieces.

Does anyone have alternate ideas? I'm thinking I want to fill the tank about halfway, maybe with some cherry barbs below, and plants either emersed or entirely above the water line. (Not sure what kind of plants yet, still some research to do... ideas?)

I have a couple of nice pieces of driftwood from an old tank I think, so I'll have to dig around and see what I've got to work with before I go spending $100 on decor.

Any thoughts or feedback are welcome... will be a long work in progress, so I'll try to make updates w/pictures as applicable. Nothing to show yet.

Thanks.

pedzola

AC Members
Aug 26, 2005
Also please ignore my signature... I had created a fish store review website around 2006-ish but it never really took off. I've since pulled it down. Have to figure out how to change the sig... it's been a while since I've been on the site.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
I shall be following with great interest as I have had almost identical plans--well, "wishful thinkings" would probably be a better term--for some time now. Down to the point of it being a 10g and wanting a cork bark backdrop or at least major feature. :)

Maybe we could work it out to go in together on a purchase. Or else the first buyer of the cork would agree to sell unused portions to the other party at cost + shipping so as to recoup some of the expense. Just a thought.

pedzola

AC Members
Aug 26, 2005
Hey Xan,

Interesting idea about splitting the cork cost. Where do you live? Unless you're within driving distance (in CT) then my guess is that it wouldn't really be all that economical. Seems like they are rather large pieces. It's something to consider though.

But if you have any ideas for your own 10g project, please do share! I haven't started anything yet, so there's still time to backtrack. And I ordered everything from Petco, so if I get a better equipment idea I can always return something. Got a good deal though. Sale + 10% off + free shipping.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Do you plan on doing a set up mainly for fish with a decorative landscape above? You might want to look into ripariums.

If you plan on doing a fish only set-up, then i would reccomend something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t71oP9YaUdk&feature=related or do a riparium. That set-up in the video is one of my favorites, I would raise the water level a little and get some dwarf corydoras and neon tetras or micro rasboras

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
look at christophers paludarium for another way to build a paludarium, his set-up isn't good for fish though, its a lot better for fire belly toads or crabs.

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
I think it would be cheaper to buy the little pieces of cork and silicone them together to the design you want.

pedzola

AC Members
Aug 26, 2005
User_Name, thanks for the riparium idea. Found this website with some very compelling products: http://www.ripariumsupply.com/

I'm pretty new to growing plants so maybe I should give the plants a try individually in planters like that before I go trying to build mountains out of cork bark and etc (can always replant later).

Does anyone have some plant ideas for me to start with? Realize that the tank will be covered, so I guess I can't have anything super tall... I have seen a bunch of tanks with "HC" (which seems to grow better out of the water than in it?). What is HC, and would it be a good choice? Or are there other mat-like covering plants that I could maybe put in a floating trellis, etc?

Thanks!

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
pedsola the owner of that web site is actually on here quite a bit check out this thread to get some ideas on the ripariums. also HC is Hemianthus callitrichoides it's a common plant used in planted aquariums

pedzola

AC Members
Aug 26, 2005
Cool thanks.

I just discovered that a "15g high" tank has the same dimensions as a 10g, but taller. So the lighting that I ordered would work on this...

I'm going to try to find one of those. Should give me some nice extra headroom for plants.

Are these pretty common? I wasn't looking for one at any of the pet stores I visited so I guess I could have overlooked them...

Hope it's nto a special order thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store