new 12g questions!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ernie1

AC Members
Jan 14, 2011
Hey all,

After a long gap 3 year gap in keeping and breeding fish I finally have setup a small planted tank.

This is fairly new to me as I used to focus on breeding african chichlids.

anyways the new tank is approx 12 gallons with 15w light, white sand, a piece of rock i had from previous setups and a few plants: 2 java ferns, lacy leaf java fern?, a type of anubis (sp?), a type of sword (name I forget..) and thats pretty much it. I have used flourish fertiliser and some other root fert tablets which are buried beneath but im not sure if i have even planted these right.

3 questions:

1) For each of these plants do i bury the roots, keep them exposed, or semi (which they are now) ?

2) Do i have to remove the metal crimps holding the fern stems together?

3) will corys uproot plants?

thanks heaps for your patience, probably really obvious for most of you...

P1160037.JPG P1160038.JPG P1160039.JPG

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Well, I am far from an expert, but I would plant all the roots except for the anubias (my anubias are fastened to rocks or driftwood). The metal pieces (weights) are fine to leave in the tank, and for the most part, cories will not uproot plants. Good luck.

ernie1

AC Members
Jan 14, 2011
Thanks for the info, will leave the crimps on.
as for the cories, im picking some up tomorrow.

Ive heard you shouldnt bury java fern? lace leaf java fern id imagine would be the same...

immune

AC Members
Nov 9, 2010
1) For each of these plants do i bury the roots, keep them exposed, or semi (which they are now) ?

Anubias and java ferns need the rhizome exposed. the sword will need to have the roots plantd

2) Do i have to remove the metal crimps holding the fern stems together?

You don't have to but IME plants can get to big and the pressure from that metal thing can damage them

3) will corys uproot plants?

My cory cats have never uprooted a plant

Questions are just that, and cannot be defined as good or bad.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store