Pipefish ?????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zigis

AC Members
Mar 2, 2009
Anyone out there with information on these fish. I was at my local pet store and he had 4- 3" pipefish in a small tank and after seeing them eat brine like they were starved for a week I bought them. My concern is when I pick then up on friday Im not sure what to do with them??? Are they true fresh or brackish I read an artical that said mix the water changes some salt some not to give the feel of raising tides??? Any help would be great on this one.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
There are one or two small species of pipefish that aren't SW, but you need a definite ID to sort out the proper care.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Not sure if I've heard of a freshwater ringed pipefish, do you have a scientific name? Without a proper ID, it's hard to tell whether it belongs in fresh, brack or salt.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
You might try contacting Mark Denaro (Anubiasdesign) or Frank (Franksaquarium), they occaisonally sell FW pipefish and may have some helpful info.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Nice & rare finding thru lfs! Pics?

It shoudlnt be that difficult to find info via net.

Whatever you do, avoid acidic and soft water. As far as salt, I personally added some salt, even marine salt. If memory serves, approx a leveled tablespoonful for 5G but do it gradually (Dissolve salt first before adding and add it gradually if you havnt done it yet). Only replace proportionate amt of salt removed during wc. Vegetation is welcomed as well as stacked rockwork.

3" is still small, try llive brine shrimp to initiate feeding then add Fz. mysids, zooplantons, cyclops, etc to their diets as they grow. You may even include small frys down the road.
Add few ghost shrimps to keep them active. They mostl likely constantly chase/hunt them. You will be amazed by their power of suction. Sometimes breaking ghost shrimp in half or cause enough damages for easy/tasty feast for all pipes...

Def lower water level a bit if there are even small openings on top.

Good Luck with rare treasures.

btw, would you mind posting $/ea?

zigis

AC Members
Mar 2, 2009
I am supossed to pick them up tommorow I will post pics as soon as they are home.

I payed 11.00 each. Thought they were cool enough for 11 bucks. And they eat brine with some serious gusto thats what the store is feeding them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store