It's always the ignored tank that does well...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NewObsession

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
Ever notice that it's always the tank you DON'T pay attention to that seems to thrive?
I have a new 125 gal planted tank. Pressurized CO2, ferts, scheduled water changes etc and having nothing but algae issues, hygro not taking off etc.
Meanwhile in the basement I have a 30 gallon ish breeder tank that I was using for a holding tank for a few plants while I was waiting for the 125 to get set up.
It is just plants and shrimp ( and snails..but they seem to go with the territory) At one point I put a couple of diy co2 bottles on it, but haven't changed them in god know how long. Occasional when I notice the water is really low I'll top it up but haven't done a w/c in who knows how long. To be honest, even feeding is sporadic and I'll drop in a couple algae wafers when i think of it but for the most part the shrimp live off the tank. I went down last night to get some hygro for a guy at work as well as some riccia and java moss that I have way too much of and this is the tank...

IMG_1170.JPG IMG_1165.JPG IMG_1167.JPG IMG_1169.JPG

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
{whistles silently to himself} :rolleyes:

I definately have the perfect example of this.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
I have that same tank with platys in it.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Looks like H. polysperma.

NewObsession

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
Wow ... talk about a perfect fry tank ... they'd all survive. They'd probably get lost.
Funny you should say that. I've always avoided putting any fish in the tank because I figured they would decimate the cherry shrimps in it that breed like there's no tomorrow. Also fish selection would be limited since there's no real open swimming space. However, I started toying with teh thought of throwing in a handful of CPD's and just leaving them to let nature take it's course. I figure they're small enough not to need tons of space as well as being small enough that they wouldn't wipe out the shrimp population since half the shrimp in there are bigger than they are.

NewObsession

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
......you know....that's a lot of java moss......I've always liked java moss.....:)
LOL. Well perhaps if you were closer I would offer you some. ALthough it is full of snails so I always warn the people I give it to that I won't be responsible for hitchhikers...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store