how predatory are crayfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lightning Bug

My fish talk to me
Nov 4, 2009
how predatory has your crayfish been in the past? im curious to find out what they are compatible with as far as fishy tank mates goes. so come on, share some stories :)

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Other than dwarf crays, I would never keep one with any fish that you would be upset to find missing. I keep mine with guppies and every now and again I find that I have one less guppy.

Lightning Bug

My fish talk to me
Nov 4, 2009
what about clipping its claws? doesnt that prevent crays from being able to catch fish?

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
what about clipping its claws? doesnt that prevent crays from being able to catch fish?
Yes, that would prevent it from happening, but IMO that's a terrible thing to do. If you already have a fish with the crayfish, get rid of one of them. Don't go chopping off its claws!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica

Lightning Bug

My fish talk to me
Nov 4, 2009
maybe i can find one with small claws instead of those big lobster kinda things you see on some crays.

Optimus

AC Members
Aug 23, 2010
Some dwarf crayfish are the same size and shrimp so I'd look into that.

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
My sister keeps a crayfish in a tank with a school of odessa barbs. They're not full grown yet, about 1.5-2", but they seem to be big enough and fast enough that the cray can't get them. She's never had any problems.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Seriously? That's just not right to even consider. I say if you really want a cray, then set up a small tank for one. I have a large cray in a 20 long but most species, the North American ones anyways, are fine in a 10gal for life.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store