Crypt Quick Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
crypts are root feeder type plants so they would do best planted in the substrate.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
I guess you could but their root systems get real extensive. Best to plant in substrate as mentioned.

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
I pulled up a parent plant of Crypt Lutea the other day and the main root on that bad boy was 10" long! That's not counting the thousands of little branches and hair roots it had....made a heckuva mess lol.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
when i dismantled my 20long birthday tank that was chock full of crypts it was a rats nest of roots!

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
Divide away. Usually you'll see the runners are only attached to the parent by a single root. Grab firmly at the base, pull up until a reasonable amount of root is visible (sometimes the whole thing just comes up), pinch off and replant where desired. I actually pulled up close to 35 or 40 nice sized runners (plantlets) and sold them to my lfs for $2 a piece. Come to think of it, I can't remember a crypt relocate ever dying on me.

** note ** mine only made a mess because I have potting soil under sand. Well it was under the sand until the crypt roots made it above the sand. Even then, a quick vac and go and all is right as rain again.

ryukin_5

AC Members
Mar 30, 2010
Antigua W.I
CAUTION** Threadjacking in progress.
Can you divide Crypts? I have mine really filling out and am thinking of breaking them up to give more coverage. Or am I going to find out what a mess of the tank that will make?

LoL like the way you put that

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i cut the runner roots on my crypts all the time and have no issues at all with plant health. just be sure the baby plant has a good start to its root system before you cut it off from the mother plant.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store