What do you think this is?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jawasnack

Live plants and fish make you smile
Dec 8, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Gary
Does it come off the plants easy (like if you swish your hand by it to make the water move) or is it stuck on the plant? Very strange, it looks like detritus that just settled on there..

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i would say detritus settled on the leaves in the first photo, and the others are a combination of excess mulm/detritus and maybe a bit of hair algae (but algae is not viewable due to so much mulm stuck on/in it).

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
Looks about the same as the gunk that comes out when I disturb a filter I've had going for too long without attention. Especially if I've been feeding a lot of fresh zucchini. Stuff always seems to create a nice slime coat for junk to get stuck in.

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Comes off easy with your hand, heavy water movement will move it also.
Whats the solution, it is all over the plants?
Doesn't come off if you just put a vac on it and try to sock it up.

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
I'd say get as much as you can to free float in the water column or on the substrate and then go after it with the vac while it's suspended. If it's as light weight as it looks it should float for at least a little while before it settles on your plants again.

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
1 AC 70 and AC 100 on a 55GL tank
there is none coming from the filter, they are clean I clean them monthly
Weekly WTC.
nothing changed in years just adding more liquid ferts and added some more plants.
Never had it before.
For a second i thought it was algae, looked in some parts stringly looking.

Where is the detritus coming from, I do not see any free floating in the water.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
no, its just GUNK. I have ths in ONE tank of 60, no idea why at all but its just like that and all over EVERYTHING. I look forward to hearing more responses.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store