T5 H.O Quad W/Bluemoon LEDs, Fan.? 4 discus..?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sipres87

AC Members
Nov 25, 2010
north bend oregon
Real Name
james
would 2 of these be good 2 put on my 135 gal. discus/ planted tank?

T5 High Output Quad Freshwater or Saltwater Systems W/Bluemoon LEDs, Fan
24" 96w

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
I have always liked this light setup, but it is fairly expensive. Also the bulbs might have to be changed out, check with the seller to see if this is an option. More than likely they'll have a 10,000K (which is OK) but they throw in the Anentic (sp) which is NOT ok.

sipres87

AC Members
Nov 25, 2010
north bend oregon
Real Name
james
i am going 2 do several/ many plants with low to mid lvl lighting. anything compadibale with the high temp an low ph of discus water.
-changeing out the bulbs is a option, i was thinking 2grow lights an 2 daytime sunlights in each... why is Anentic (sp) not good???

prober

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
eastern Washington (the state)
Real Name
Jeff
Actinic bulbs are great for marine tanks but look terrible on freshwater tanks, and plants don't like them but bacteria and algae do. 6700K bulbs are best for planted aquariums, 10,000 is ok but not ideal.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
why is Anentic (sp) not good???
It encourages the wrong type of growth. Most people want thick leafy growth and actinic bulbs tends to promote long/tall leafless growth.

From what I remember the theory goes that the actinic light (possibly anything outside of their optimal spectrums) makes the plant think it is being blocked so it tries to grow up and out of the shade.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store