EOD's 2.5 Gallon Planted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
As some of you know, my betta tank (1.5g Hex plastic) was starting to look pretty rough so I went searching for a new home. I learned that, for the most part, the tanks that stores sell for bettas are to say the least, sub par. I managed to find this 2.5 gallon glass tank, a glass top, a light, and a 5lb bag of marine black sand for $70. I love it. Honestly, it's probably one of the tanks that I am the most proud of.

Some downsides though:
The glass top fits the tank rim perfectly so I have to leave it partly open to allow for the air line to go to the pump. The air-powered pump is taller than I thought and I had to move the sand away from it's intake in an effort to stop it from sucking in sand. The sand is much different than pool filter sand, which is what I normally use. It needs to be mixed and rinsed thoroughly before use because it tends to float and air bubbles attach to it, making little clumps of sand float around the tank. It's been 2 days and there are still clumps all over the place.

On the upside:
The light being this close to the plants causes them to do very well. I watched today as tiny bubbles flowed from the cut stem of an anacharis. The leaves are also beading up with bubbles.

I am expecting my fluval co2 system to come in the mail within the next few days so I took the 2L DiY co2 off of the 16G bowfront and ran it into this tank with an air stone. Is this too much co2 for so small a tank? Here are some pictures:
I HATE THAT YOU CAN SEE MY KITCHEN IN THIS PIC.
IMG_1542.JPG
THREW A TOWEL BEHIND THE TANK FOR BETTER PIC.
IMG_1544.JPG
SEE THE AIR BUBBLES ATTACHED TO SAND? ALSO, AS YOU CAN SEE I HAVE DUCKWEED FLOATING AROUND.
IMG_1545.JPG
HE'S CAMERA SHY. RAN AWAY TO HIS LITTLE POT.
IMG_1547.JPG

Just an idea. Could I run the CO2 into the airline that powers the filter is it better the way it is now?

Here are some videos of the plants doing their thing:
[YT]-KqK_h1rO8M&hd=1[/YT]

[YT]YT-25UWkpu0&hd=1[/YT]

IMG_1542.JPG IMG_1544.JPG IMG_1545.JPG IMG_1547.JPG

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
Quick photo update:
I found one of those little things that I noticed in the old betta tank crawling on an airstone. Is it a tiny invertebrate?

immune

AC Members
Nov 9, 2010
I can't see the 2nd photo well enough to help ID that little guy but I have to say, I don't like betta's...and somehow my first thought when I saw this thread was still: "Wow, that's a gorgeous betta"

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
Thank you. He has come a long way.

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
I've used that black sand before. Don't worry, time will tame it. It is rather fluffy stuff though. Tank looks very nice. I can't comment on the CO2 into the filter, but I can say that my local glass shop trimmed my glass top for me for about $4. Just took it in and they took off 3/8 of an inch while i waited. would help it not be quite so snug. You could even just have them nip off a corner to make room for your lines.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store