White spots on Mopani wood?? What is it?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jawasnack

Live plants and fish make you smile
Dec 8, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Gary
I just noticed these white spots last night. They are only on the backside of my Mopani wood (not facing the light) on the darker colored portion of the wood.

I would say I have almost two dozen spots/specs, they are very small. Should I be alarmed?

Thanks..

white spots 015.JPG

Last edited:

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Do you have Nerite snails? They look like nerite eggs to me. A bit unsightly but do no harm, they can hatch but not survive in freshwater so don't worry about being overpopulated.

jawasnack

Dec 8, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Gary
Yes, I do have some Nerite snails! That's a relief, thought I had some kind of strange under water wood fungus growing...

They are kind of unsightly though, how long do they last?

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
A long time in my experience. I don't do anything to try and get rid mine though.

ceiji

AC Members
Jun 27, 2008
Michigan
those can be a little hard to scape off.. you may have to take the wood out of water to do that.. even after those are hatched, the shells remain stuck to the wood..

jawasnack

Dec 8, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Gary
Wow, my snails must really like my tank because the number of eggs on the mopani wood has increased by at least 4x. Not only that I'm seeing them on the glass too!! I'm not liking this.. :yuck:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store