sump media?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crash420

AC Members
Jan 18, 2011
i am going to bulid a sump what goes in it for media? sump sock.and what else not shure what to use or if any.

Last edited:

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
PoT Scrubbies or bio balls which ever is cheapest in your area, ceramic rings are a good choice also really its what you want to use and can afford to buy depending on how big a sump you have.

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
^ no no no no no

Do NOT put bioballs in your sump unless you like taking them all out to rinse them off once a week.. (defeating the purpose of bio balls.

Do some searching on bioballs and such in salt tanks... The best combo that I've found is to build a DSB with live rock and lots of macro... That plus skimming is probably the best thing to remove excess nutrients/waste from your system.

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
If you must use an alternate form of filtration look up algae scrubbers

Also, you can use carbon to help clear up water and to do some absorbtion.

Some type of phosphorus removal device is another good chemical filter to have

And finally some people swear by purigen and other types of chemical media... The general rule though is that biological filtration should happen with live rock, sand, and macro. Mechanical by your skimmer and maybe an easy to clean pot scrubber, and chemical varies by bioload, water, etc

Last edited:

crash420

AC Members
Jan 18, 2011
i know bioballs bad.i like the algae scrubbers idea but was wondering if this leads to algae blooms in my main tank?like the idea less chem allways good.

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
No it won't lead to blooms in your main tank if you do it right. It leads to the exact opposite. Search it on here I think (or try google) theres a huge FAQ on them somewhere with some really good descriptions, links, ideas, and the experience of a LOT of people who have used them. It's the 100% definitive algae scrubber thread

floridaskunkape

AC Members
Jan 13, 2010
Yeah! Search "Algae Turf Scrubber" Read the thread by Santamonica -Most powerful Nitrate remover, or something like that. VERY exciting. I'm getting all the parts to build one too!

crash420

AC Members
Jan 18, 2011
i think i will build one.my skimmer sucks anyway it could not hurt.just worry about yellow water and others but pros out weigh the cons.thanks for the input

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Why are bioballs bad? You don't have to rinse them if you use a prefilter like a sock which is what the OP stated he was going to use...

Also rinsing them does not defeat the purpose of bio balls, unless you use tap water. Rinse them gently in a bucket of tank water and they retain the biological bacteria and loose the detrius.

I know tons of reef keepers that use them with great results. Not negating the other forms of media's usefulness, but they still work...

Just my 2 cents

crash420

AC Members
Jan 18, 2011
know way to harvest the algae from them so the nitrate just builds up and than it will just end up in my tank.lots of water change dont like that idea.just thoughts mabey wrong idk?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store