need some help with this

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boxhead1990

AC Members
Nov 24, 2010
okay so i have a few purple waffles a dieing hygrophilia and i cant remember the name of the other plant now i have been using the plant food stuff to a t have a c02 setup that i beleive works very well and just a average everyday internal filter full of wash cloth sort of stuff but the hygro is like 2 inch's tall and seems to be getting smaller if any one could give more to the point advice on how this whole planted thing works and could help me i would really apreciate it oh and if your close by i can give some jack dempsy fry for your help

michael

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
each tank will be different. i suggest checking out the sticky at the top of this section.

boxhead1990

AC Members
Nov 24, 2010
well after numerous searches and flicking through thisforum im not really finding the answers im looking for its all set up in a 3 foot about 150ish litres

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Purple waffles is not even aquatic.

And are you sure you have hygo??

boxhead1990

AC Members
Nov 24, 2010
yeah im sure its hygro i had a big bunch of it and its been slowly dieng off and if thats the case about the purple waffle i might have to have words with the people at my lfs about that its not dieng but its not getting any better oh and for lighting im using a atman 15000k 20 wat fluro its not very bright tho

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
150 litres if I'm not mistaken is around 40 gallons. With 20 watts of light, you're right around 1/2 watt per gallon. Not many plants will do well in that amount of light. I would suggest upping your lighting and see if that helps.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
150 litres if I'm not mistaken is around 40 gallons. With 20 watts of light, you're right around 1/2 watt per gallon. Not many plants will do well in that amount of light. I would suggest upping your lighting and see if that helps.
:thumbsup:

spacefish34

Sep 2, 2009
Bedford,TX
Real Name
Chris
A couple of tips.Purple waffle(Hemigraphis 'Exotica')is a terrestrial plant.I still wonder why retailers sell this as an aquatic plant.It basically drowns and rots.As far as the hygro,it would help to know what type of hygro it is.Can you take some pics?Also,due to the light you have and seeing that it's your first run through with plants,I would stick to low light,easy to grow species.Java fern,Anubias,which with both don't plant them in the substrate,attach them to wood or rocks as they attach themselves after while.Do some research.Plants of the genus Cryptocoryne and Sagittaria are also low light and easy.I can't stress enough to do your homework.And,since you are using CO2,consider adding more light and then there is a multitude of species you can work your way up to.Good luck...

boxhead1990

AC Members
Nov 24, 2010
thanks for the advice i been meaning to get a better lighting system as the one im using was mums and its cost me nothing to use it my other tank is a 4 foot with a fluro its pretty bright dont no what wattage it is but its a hell of a lot brighter then the 2 foot one im using on my 3 foot tank but i think its just a normal house light but im pretty bummed out about the purple waffle thing and with the hygro il google pictures and find out which one it is it still drops leaves with roots so i no its not dead but its most likely on its way

DGC

All in One
May 8, 2010
London
Real Name
Darrell
i agree , the lighting is insufficient - try and add a 6400k bulb or even 2 - you can put 2 cfl fixtures/bulbs in (will be the cheepest)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store