Don't ya hate it..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nocturnus

AC Members
Feb 26, 2004
Central Texas
www.photo-mojo.net
Real Name
Ed
Camera Used
Canon 70d
I was not thinking over the weekend when I did my big 50% change on my 20 gallon thats been running for a year. Even did a good gravel vac.. Then filled it up and whatever reason, I changed my filter media out. Come Tuesday, my tank's got the cloudy cycle look. I did my water tests and everything is totally out of whack. :( Going to take a sample in to my local shop and have them test it, just to make sure I'm not crazy. Only other tank I have going is my 75, and it's mid cycle now (nitrite time).

Guess I need to watch that tank and fish closely.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Another reason to have two filters on a tank that can be alternated for cleaning, or a filter that has different media that can be pulled out independently. What kind of filter(s) are you running on the tank?

In any case, it shouldn't take long to get re-established.

Nocturnus

AC Members
Feb 26, 2004
Central Texas
www.photo-mojo.net
Real Name
Ed
Camera Used
Canon 70d
Have the API kit already. I could of swore that one turned a color that wasn't even on the chart. I'm going to test again tonight and since I need to hit the LFS anyways tonight, bring a sample for a sanity check.

I normally don't do a 50% change and filter change in the same day. I was just not thinking this weekend.

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
When you say that you changed the filter media, do you mean your Bio media? If you changed the Bio media then thats your problem.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
your filter is a cartridge style one? no need to keep replacing the cartridges and wasting money.

take a piece of filter sponge (i use the Aquaclear 110 size) and cut it to fit in the space where the cartridge would normally go in your filter. make sure you leave some space at the back of the filter for water flow. wrap the front half of the sponge in polyester batting if you want fine particle filtration.

i've changed out every cartridge style filter i've ever owned this way and it works great! bonus is no more wasted money on cartridges that, IMO, are crap.

if your filter is not a cartridge style one then you should not be changing out the media, just rinse it in a bucket of tank water (to preserve the beneficial bacteria) and put it back in the filter.

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
we all make mistakes from time to time.. just make sure you learn from the experience :) I do suggest getting something that has multiple media options though, or another filter to help this from happening again.

Nocturnus

AC Members
Feb 26, 2004
Central Texas
www.photo-mojo.net
Real Name
Ed
Camera Used
Canon 70d
cartridge yeah. Only reason I changed it was due to how clogged it was. Water was flowing over the back of the filter itself on to the floor. But yeah. I've debated doing the sponge thing and never did. Maybe I'll get that and cut it to fit and set it in front of the cartridge for now and let it build up a good colony..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store