Who had Dinos around here?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rogersb

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
I don't have dinos but rememeber someone on here having plague proportions and having to start a tank over once or twice because of them and losing a bunch of coral. I've been reefing for a little over 2 years and have never had much in the way of algae. When I first started I had a small patch of hair algae that went away and I've had diatoms or something similar that were driving me nuts.

The week before thanksgiving I switched my tank over from a skimmerless 60g with tiny sump to a 75 with 20g sump and a skimmer. I got rid of all my sand and just went with new sand. Since that time the new sand has been horribly covered in diatoms. The glass stays decently clean but the sand I could not get to turn white again. I have been reading up on dosing vitamin c and finally took the plunge. I've been doing it about a week and my sand is beautiful.

I started the dosing specifically for my zoas but i knew it was a carbon source and would allow bacteria to uptake nitrate and phosphate. I didn't realize how fast it would really clear those diatoms. Sitting here thinking a little I didn't recall many threads here discussing dosing carbon such as sugar, vit c, or vodka and I was wondering if those with wicked algae outbreaks such as dinos had tried it.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
its me.. been battling it close to a year and half now. its the f****** devil. ive tried every method in the book.

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
with all the recent talk of it -- have you tried turf scrubbing?

the theory is simple enough... culture your own algae which you CAN control and starve all the bad algae that you can't.

im sure there's hardly a road you haven't been down, but I'm just trying to help lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store