Gonna try Saltwater Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

itzazoo

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
I've been doing freshwater for over 25 years now. So I finally decided to give saltwater a try. I am thinking of going fish and live rock only. I already have a 65 gal that I will be using. Though I am unsure on filtration as there are so many. Someone said you have to use a wet/dry and others say canister(FX5). What are your take on it and where does the protein skimmer come into play? Any help will be appreciated.

gregman55

Registered Member
Jun 11, 2003
Visit site
When I initially setup my 55 gal fish/live rock saltwater tank (which I unfortunately no longer have) I started with a canister system. I eventually switched to a wet dry after I encountered some plumbing issues, it was a good choice. Maintenance was easier and I liked being able to have the skimmer in the wet-dry instead of hanging on the tank. Wet-dry systems also increase your total water volume which is a plus in saltwater. Also, the wet dry unit fit inside the stand which helped contain noise from water flow and the pump (MagDrives work well on the cheap).

DocTim

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
www.drtimsaquatics.com
Real Name
Dr Tim Hovanec
Filtration depends on the size and numbers of fish really. I consider a protein skimmer a must in a fish only tank because it will remove a lot organics that will otherwise eventually turn into algae and/or cyanobacteria. generally fish only tanks are fed a lot and something has to happen to the waste (not just the ammonia) but the organic waste and that's where the skimmer comes into play.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Im sorry DocTim, but i have to differ with you on the idea that filtration differs from any number of fish one may have, for freshwater you not need as great a deal better in your system filtration system, but moving on over too marine tanks demands a great deal better in filtration methods. But of course it is always a debate many will differ from or in ones opinion.

itzazoo, if you are to go with a 65 gal tank, you want to have a sump with the best skimmer you can buy for it, for stay away from canister filters for their nitrate traps where as a sump, the larger you can go would add a great deal your tanks water volume, and skimmers in sump are a great deal easier to clean then canister filters. Also to add to that, if you gotten a canister, you still require a HOB skimmer, so you don`t require both, just a good skimmer.

Buddy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store