Looking for African cichlid hatchery........

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jim in Michiana

Tanganyikan Lover
Feb 23, 2009
LaPorte, Indiana
I have a week's vacation coming up, and me and the wife decided that we'd like to go on a "road trip"....... What I'm looking for is the best cichlid hatchery within 6-8 hrs. of Chicago.....

Tell me about the best hatchery you know of in any of the following States......

Indiana
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Kentucky
Missouri
Tennessee
Michigan
Ohio
West Virginia

Looking for hatcheries open to the public obviously...... I used to go to "Wet Thumb" in Michigan, but they've eliminated livestock........

Even if you know of private breeders that maintain/sell Rifties (especially Tropheus/Frontosa), post 'em here !!!!!

Thanks, Jim

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
This sounds like a great trip, have fun! Have you seen the review section at cichlid-forums.com? If not HERE is a link. A lot of their sponsors are top notch and a couple are in your list of states. You can browse by local store or online. How that helps.

Only one I know for sure that is worth visiting is Atlantis Tropical Fish Hatchery but that's in NY so it's not much help. :D

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I know about Bluegrassaquatics in Kentucky. Many of my mbuna are from there.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
LittleAfricaAquatics.Com

The web site isn't up yet, he is in TN. Got some great Tangs from them. His e-mail is

littleafricaaquatics@hotmail.com

I can send you his latest stock list if you e-mail or PM me your addy.....

Mr.peacock

AC Members
Aug 31, 2009
i would deff do eddie at bluegrass aquatics his place is great i go the about once a week and he is cheep little africa is ok real price and if u can get him to answer the phone me and pitt have been trying for a week now also in louisville ky with bluegrass aquatics

Last edited:

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Little Africa Aquatics has some great fish! I've ordered from Greg. I thought they were out of Arkansas though if I remember right.

Jim - You'll need to update us on the trip after you go. We'd love to hear where the best hatcheries are!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Little Africa is in Louisville Ky Greg has some nice Tanganyika stock but he operates out of his home so i would def set something up before you go. Also Bluegrass Aquatics is the same Eddie operates out of his home so give them a call before you make the trip i was just there a few minutes ago buying some Tangs..

I live 15 minutes away from Little Africa and 35 minutes away from Bluegrass if you decide to come down get with me maybe we could hook up and get some dinner or lunch and i can give you a tour of Louisville's pet shops, Sundays and Mondays are my off days

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Ky has a Trout Hatchery but not sure if they provide tours, I need to check them out as well I will research it and get back with you..

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Crap! Meant KY...sorry, Jim.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
OK I found a hatchery its called Wolf Creek National Fish Hatchery located in Jamestown Ky its open year round with free admission and Tours I am so going here soon I may take a 3 day weekend to go plus you can fish and enjoy recreational services.

Looks like they specialize in Rainbow and Brown Trout fingerlings.. Maybe others like Bass and Walleye..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store