New Low light planted discus tank Algae need helps

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MadDiscus

AC Members
Dec 11, 2010
O.C Socal
vietchain.com
Real Name
Tony
I posted in my original thread and would think if I need to post new one so it be confused and get better helps.

I finally upgraded to 180G low light planted tank about a month with pool sand, driftwood, 84F temp, 2 canister filters (xp3 and reaction 45), 2x 36" T5 HO 39W lights (2x 6700K and 4x 10000K) total 234 watts 24" from gravel, 1 power head, 16 discus, 16 cardinals, 2 bn plecos, 1 cory. I am having problem with brown algae. From what i have read, i think it may not fully stable and i have ordered some seachem flourish excel and fertilizer on its way. Can you please help me to get rip of it? I just did 25% WC last night.

Thank you in advance,

Tony

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It looks like more than 1 kind of alga, brown on sand & maybe hair on the wood moss. The brown should go away with time & BNs. The hair? try twirling a toothbrush to remove as much as possible. How long are your lights on? What are your water params & ferts?

prober

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
eastern Washington (the state)
Real Name
Jeff
The brown algae is common in new aquariums and will go away before too long, especially with a pleco in there.

I would only use your 2 6700K lights and limit them to 8 hours a day. Do this until your ferts have been stabilized,(use EI dosing regimen), and the algae dissapears. Continue to do 50% water changes every week.

It can take several weeks for the changes to have an effect but your problem does not look too bad right now.

You will not have enough carbon available with just excel to continue using all your lights even with proper ferts. You will need added co2 if you want to run that high of lighting.

MadDiscus

AC Members
Dec 11, 2010
O.C Socal
vietchain.com
Real Name
Tony
It looks like more than 1 kind of alga, brown on sand & maybe hair on the wood moss. The brown should go away with time & BNs. The hair? try twirling a toothbrush to remove as much as possible. How long are your lights on? What are your water params & ferts?
light on from 2pm - 10pm and water is good
0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 10 Nitrate

The brown algae is common in new aquariums and will go away before too long, especially with a pleco in there.

I would only use your 2 6700K lights and limit them to 8 hours a day. Do this until your ferts have been stabilized,(use EI dosing regimen), and the algae dissapears. Continue to do 50% water changes every week.

It can take several weeks for the changes to have an effect but your problem does not look too bad right now.

You will not have enough carbon available with just excel to continue using all your lights even with proper ferts. You will need added co2 if you want to run that high of lighting.
I ordered Flourish Comprehensive Plant Supplement, Flourish Tabs (Gravel Bed Supplement) and Excel. Can i use these 2 and dose base on label instructions?

Thank you guys, kinda relief a little 'cause i have discus so worry to much :) .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store