Thinking about getting another corn snake.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
It all started when I was in 8th grade. My teacher had close to a 6ft corn snake named Mika. He was my first real experience with snakes besides the common garter snakes that lived around here. I fell in love with that snake and learned to be comfortable with them. I was quickly put in charge of Mika and I handled his cage cleaning as well as took care of the colonies of rats and mice that were being bred to support him and I would come in every Wednesday afternoon to feed him. It was a good life lesson but it was never easy for me to pick which critter got to die that day to feed the beloved Mika. Feeding him mice weren't as hard for me, mice were never on my list of favorite animals.

At the end of the year my teacher decided to give him to one of her students, it really sucked, he was my snake but whom I was living with at the time prevented me from taking him. So a year later my uncle friend called him up and said someone dropped off a baby corn in front of his pet shop. My uncle picked him up and gave him to his son. They had the corn for about a year and got tired of him and asked me if I wanted him and of course I jumped at the opportunity. I named him Ernie and he was a great little snake. My uncle had said that had problems taking food and it became a normal thing for him to regurgitate what he was fed. Ernie only regurgitated once in the 6-8 months that I had him. Then one day when I came in to feed him I discovered that he had passed away. It was really hard, I didn't know what had happened to him.

Anyways it's been a few years and I've had a lot of lizards but they just don't compare to having a snake. I rehomed my last fire-bellied toad and the only reptile I have left is my Sudan Plated lizard so I've been thinking a lot about adding a snake to the family again. My mom loves snakes, she had like 11 when she was kid so I doubt she'll protest to another one coming into the family. However I was wondering it I could get some tips on corns before I jump right back into the snake pool again. I was young when I had Ernie and I'm sure I did some things wrong.

One of my main questions is do snakes need UVB. I've done my research and I can't find any info on the subject. Also tank size? I've had some people tell me snakes feel safer in smaller enclosures and they feel insecure in larger ones. And then also substrate. I wanna keep my future corn on Aspen. I'm well aware most people will say paper(which is what I keep my Sudan on) but can they we kept on Aspen.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated. I really miss having Ernie and Mika in my life. I remember one time when the Power when out for almost a week and it was the dead of winter and me and my brother and my mom took shifts holding Ernie because temp in the house was so cold and Ernie slept in out pockets that whole week, except for my mom she carried him around in her bra:laugh:Ernie didn't seem to mind...

oskar-schindler-liam-neeson-schindlers-list.jpg

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
wow, that does suck.
Well a 20 long is fine for a corn, it will provide a nice heat gradient when having the basking light at one end. Im not sure they need UVB. Aspen is fine. have a large water bowl so then can take a "bath" every now and then. Also it is probably much easier to feed them frozen mice now a days since live mice are actually harder to find.
google "corn snake care sheet" if you need anymore info.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
A 20 long tank is what I have right now and I have a large water dish suitable for a full grown corn. I only feed frozen mice now, When I fed Mika it was my teachers choice to feed live(she didn't really have a way to euthanize) but with my reptiles I feed frozen. My Sudan likes himself a mouse baby from time to time. My big question is still about UVB.

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
as far as i know thay don't need UVB, i don't think i've heard of any snake needing UVB. not saying thay couldn't benefit from it just never head about people using it. also aspen is fine for bedding though when it gets bigger i would probably get a bigger tank than a 20 long i feel bigger is better and as long as the cornsnake has a place to hide he should feel comfortable in there. btw good luck, i've never been a snake person my self but i do work with them at work and i under stand the draw of them.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
I was real big into lizards at one point especially plated lizards. Almost had gotten another Sudan plated but the timing just wasn't right. I was thinking about getting a ball python instead of a corn but I'd wanna get a captive bred which are much more pricey then wild caught and I just can't afford it. I can definitely get a bigger tank if I end up getting an adult which is what I'm hoping for.

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
I was real big into lizards at one point especially plated lizards. Almost had gotten another Sudan plated but the timing just wasn't right. I was thinking about getting a ball python instead of a corn but I'd wanna get a captive bred which are much more pricey then wild caught and I just can't afford it. I can definitely get a bigger tank if I end up getting an adult which is what I'm hoping for.
just a question but how much are captive breed ballpythons around you? i know around me there like 40-60 which isn't all that much, and hell the place i work at thats the only type of ballpython we sell. ether way i would looks for some breeders for ether the corn or a ball around you so you know your getting a healthy snake.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
They usually go for about $300+ around here, if people are being generous you can get one for around $175. Wild caught you can get for $50-60.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store