Advice for my 90g planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sinerviz

Registered Member
Jan 13, 2011
London, Ontario Canada
Real Name
Kevin
Hello everyone!

I am new to the site and thought I'd start off by showing what I am starting with in hopes that I can get some advice on how to turn what I have into something breathtaking!

This is a 90 gallon drilled tank with a sump underneath where I have all my filtrations (Eheim Professionel II), heater, CO2, etc.. I am using a T5HO fixture with 4 54w bulbs (two are 6500k and two are 3000k).

I plan to take everything out so that I can get a better looking substrate and one that will provide nutrients for my plants. When I do this, I would like to arrange everything so it looks as best as possible... this is where I'll need some advice.

plantedfts.JPG leftside.JPG rightside.JPG platangel.JPG

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
Oh WOW I see what you mean by wanting to replace the substrate. 90 is not the ideal tank for a planted tank (just because the depth) so you're going to need some help getting the plants into the substrate.

Sterilized Playsand, or pool Filter sand works...What are your direct concerns or questions.

NewObsession

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
If the plants in there already are all live, then I would say your lighting is sufficient, even for a 90 (I've found it doesn't take as much as a lot of people think)
As for substrate, sand looks nice but if you want something for the plants go with Florite or eco-complete.

NewObsession

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
by the way, nice looking tank

sepehr

AC Members
Jul 5, 2010
Good looking tank! I too, started with a 90 gallon with 4 X 54 watts T5HO lights. I ran my lights for 10 hrs and BBA started to appear. I DID have pressurized CO2 and dosed ferts. Then some ppl here suggested to run only 2 bulbs and shorten the photoperiod to 8 hrs. I upped the CO2 as well.

Who knows if you face the same outcome because your tank seems to be deeper than mine. My marsilea and DHG got chocked by BBA.

Sinerviz

Registered Member
Jan 13, 2011
London, Ontario Canada
Real Name
Kevin
Oh WOW I see what you mean by wanting to replace the substrate. 90 is not the ideal tank for a planted tank (just because the depth) so you're going to need some help getting the plants into the substrate.

Sterilized Playsand, or pool Filter sand works...What are your direct concerns or questions.
I picked up some Black Flourite today... will need more so I will have to hit some other stores in search or (I bought all I could find at that store).

Why is the depth of a 90 not ideal? I have no issues reaching the bottom of the tank, especially with my long pincher tool. Is there something else that I'm missing? The light from my T5's seem to make it down there no problem and I assume if T5HO's can make coral grow in a 90g saltwater tank, they should be able to give the plants what they need. But like I said, I am new to the planted tank so I need all the info I can get!

PS. Anyone know what the white (usually) bands are that people use to anchor down plants in the substrate? They seem to be weighted as if to be metal of some sort. Is there somewhere I can get this stuff? I have yet to see it in any pet/aquarium stores here.

Sinerviz

Registered Member
Jan 13, 2011
London, Ontario Canada
Real Name
Kevin
Good looking tank! I too, started with a 90 gallon with 4 X 54 watts T5HO lights. I ran my lights for 10 hrs and BBA started to appear. I DID have pressurized CO2 and dosed ferts. Then some ppl here suggested to run only 2 bulbs and shorten the photoperiod to 8 hrs. I upped the CO2 as well.

Who knows if you face the same outcome because your tank seems to be deeper than mine. My marsilea and DHG got chocked by BBA.
Hmmm I have yet to experience any BBA (or other algae) issues as of yet. I am guessing my algae eaters, plecos(x3) and others will help me keep this under check. I am watching my params pretty close as well so if I need to add a media reactor in my sump to deal with a specific parameter, I will do so. I have a couple PhosBan reactors that will do the job I think... anyone done that on a Freshwater tank?

As for dosing ferts... where does one buy the different fertilizers and what method are you using to dose? just manually or a proper dosing system like used for dosing saltwater tanks?

GMYukonon24s

AC Members
Feb 9, 2008
MICHIGAN
My tank(110g) is different than yours but I can still think my tank is close to yours. I've been running 2 bulbs of t5HO at 6 hours no C02 and I've been having better success than running it longer but than again I don't have C02 like you have. I would change it up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store