What am I?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Saw this poor little guy getting the snot beaten out of him in the small assorted african cichlid tank at Petsmart. Something about him made me have to buy him. I have absolutely no idea what he is. I don't think he's african, I'm thinking maybe CA. In the store he had prominent vertical barring which seems to have disappeared with his stress coloration.

Here's some pics, he is very tiny, less than 1". The tiny mbuna were smacking him around pretty good. I'll try to get further pics once he relaxes a bit. For size reference, he's in a 2.5g just until the 20g warms up to a suitable temp.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Wow..that's a misfire alright. Young jack dempsey?

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I don't think it's a JD, I'm leaning toawrds it being African. I have no idea what it is though, good luck!

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
grow him out a bit then sell or rehome him. at least give him a good start to life, eh?

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
my guess is some kind of peacock hard to tell at this age. If it is a peacock and a male it will change dramatically. If it is a female it will look the same as it matures.

Though it looks like the one in the pic the tail is not spot on like the pic.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
grow him out a bit then sell or rehome him. at least give him a good start to life, eh?
Oh yeah, I'm not going to ditch it whatever it is (even if it's the dreaded hybrid who knows what). I figure 4 months it shouldn't outgrow a 20g, even if it is a big boy.

my guess is some kind of peacock hard to tell at this age. If it is a peacock and a male it will change dramatically. If it is a female it will look the same as it matures.

Though it looks like the one in the pic the tail is not spot on like the pic.
I'd be plenty happy if it's an aulonocara or a hap, esp if it's a male, as I have an all male peacock tank.

The poor fish is missing most of his tail due to the mbuna kicking the crap out of it.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Look at the stripe....definitely looks like a jack dempsey juvie. I just saw 6 of these at a friend's and they look exactly the same. I dunno, I'm stumped.....lol :)

Edit: Neighbor thinks it's a young peacock or hap of some sort....hmmmmm.....!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store