Old question but new for me, eggs, eggs, eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I have had plenty Oscars but never a breeding pair and yesterday my huge breeding pair of Oscars I got from a breeder who went out of business have finally laid a bunch of tan looking dot eggs on a big flat rock I have in the tank, about 100 at least. So I need basic answers to some basic questions from those that have successfully hatched Oscars.

How long do I leave them in with the watchful parents guarding?

Will the eggs stick to the rock or do I scoop them up?

Should I move the parents from their 100 tank to the new 160 cycled tank I have ready or the eggs to the 160 or another 80 I can move them to after relocating the Goldies in that tank (2 large)?

Do the eggs need to be alone, no other fish period?

Any other recommendations? as soon as I have a moment Ill take a photo.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Congrats!

Provided there are no other tankmates and they are not young pair, I would leave the parent with them to observe their behaviors until frys are free swimming. Meantime you can set up smaller bear-bottom rearing tank to relocate frys for easy feeding/cleaning unless you want to raised them with parent.

If there are other tankmates, try removing them in the middle of the night (easy to catch when fish are sleeping), avoidiing situation where pair might take such commotions of catching fish as a constant threat to their clutch.

Good Luck!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Yeah the parents are acting weird hovering over the eggs. The rock is an old iguana flat stone I cut the cord off and stuck in there 2 months ago. I have an established 80 tank I evacuated and placed a heater on to bring the temp up to 80F same temp as the parents tank and was planning on reaching inside to pull the stone on hoping the eggs would stick to it and place it in the 80 tank. Is this bad will the parents get over it? Is my hand in danger? Should I cover the canister intakes with sponge or netting? Or should I just let the parents hatch them then remove the parents to a larger tank (160g) leaving the fry in the 100g acrylic?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store