glo light fixture

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bluemeate

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
so i recently got a t5 ho 48in "glo" lighting fixture used for 40 bucks (good deal?) it came with a life-glo bulb and a marine-glo bulb
also how do i attach this light fixture to the rim of my tank?

i dont know what the ratings are on these lights and if i should get some different bulbs (are any suitable/cheap home depot ones i could use?)

I also want to to keep it at low/mid lighting for a 55gal with 8ph and very hard water... that'll be fine, right?

also i usually have my lights on about 10-16 hours a day, ill need to cut back with higher lighting, right?

also is the blue-marine light responsible for the little tiny hairs of algae that started covering the glass and all my plants within the past week since i got the light?

prober

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
eastern Washington (the state)
Real Name
Jeff
Get any bulb at HD that is between 5000K and 10,000K. They will probably be listed as daylight bulbs.

Yes those actinic bulbs are meant for saltwater and will cause a ferocious algae bloom in my experience. And way too many hours of light is not helping either.

Try to limit your lights to 8 hours or less. You may have to go total blackout for a few days to get it under control.

Mako

EET MOR KATFISH
Nov 19, 2001
Wake Forest, NC
Visit site
Prober, HD doesn't (in my area) sell high output T5, they just sell normal T5.

The Life Glo will be fine, as will the marine glo (it will grow plants just fine), but it will look kinda odd unless you like a lot of blue.

I'd use a Life Glo and a Power Glo, should be a very good color combo.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
As to whether you got a good deal or not...google "t5 ho 48in" and see what those puppies are going for new. You got a SPECTACULAR deal and i am officially Jealous. :)

As to attaching it to the rim...does it have legs? If it's just a flat box you will have to either get a glass top for it to sit on or figure out a way to hang if from above. Or cobble together some sort of legs for it. See what brand it is and google again, if it has fittings for legs but they didn't come with your sale you may be able to get them as separate utensils for a low price. Some brands sell them and some don't.

bluemeate

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
i just has the metal bars pic that are spaced out equally with the rim of my tank. I suppose if I could get two or four objects that are shaped like an H then i could have the bottom half the H attached to the rim and the top half with the bar sitting in it.
can anyone think of anything i could use that has that shape?

also what is better, dual daylight t8's
or just a single t5 "life-glo" bulb

might be a dumb question, but it is fine to run a dual light fixture with only one light, right?

Last edited:

tdecarlo

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Hanover Park, IL
Real Name
Tiffany
I have this same fixture... got it for $75 on clearance at my LFS! You got a GREAT deal! I assume since you are asking how to attach it you didn't get it as a complete setup in box new? The full package included a hanging system to hang it from the ceiling, and the two black legs.

According to the directions, you can set it directly on top of the tank by sliding out the silver pieces.. I have run mine this way for 4 months now with 2 bulbs with no adverse affect to the plastic trim on the tank or the center support. If you have a glass top these Black leg attachments will do you no good, they almost if not definitely sit in the water, so putting a glass lid or any kind of lid on the tank will not work. I do not put a canopy over my tank and so airflow isnt a problem for me for heat issues.

So back to what's included.... I am about 99.5 percent sure I still have both the legs and hanging system and am not using them... and have absolutely NO intention of using them as I have small hands that love my fish (kids) in my house and have to run a closed top system to prevent cheetos from becoming a staple food source for my fish! :)

Send me a PM and we can figure out if I am right in my assumption and we can get these extras I don't need over to you. ( my husband will be thrilled to get rid of the big box for the 3 little items! )

bluemeate

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
oh man oh man i hope your wrong

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store