Questions about Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I am going to start up a 40b in the spring, just doing some research now, getting a little boring this winter. I would like to keep Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis Blue Neon. From what I've read it's peaceful, so I'm guessing I can put some Petricolas in with them. Pretty much I think that's all I'm going to have in that tank. I'd like to try and breed them. Does anyone have these guys? Is a 40b too small for them? I'm figuring I'd have to get 6 young ones and let them pair off, would I have to upgrade or rehome the ones who didn't pair off? I was also thinking about Julidochromis Marlieri Burundi or possibly Transcriptus Ornatus Gombi or Bemba, but I think they might be a bit too agressive to each other. I think they're beautiful fish but I read once they pair off if there isn't enough room in the tank the pair will kill the other ones, I don't want that. I'll stick with the peaceful fish to begin with. Any thoughts or ideas on keeping these smaller African Cichlids would be appreciated, thanks:) And what type of substrate would be best for a tank like this, I was reading about aragonite, or crushed shells and coral. I know the ph has to be kept up much higher then my fw tank. I'm also going to get instructions on building a background and stand...like I said winter doldrums!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Anyone with info on these fish?

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
I don't keep any cyps, but I do have julie marleri burundi. I keep 4 of them in a 55g and haven't had any aggression problems. I do have a ton of holey rock for them so there are many hiding spots. 3 of them actually live in the same rock. I would say they are some of the least aggressive fish in my tank.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
I have the paracyps - love them. I keep them with some calvus and Julidochromis Ornatus, which are a pretty small and mild mannered juli. If they spawn however, I'll probably remove them. A 48" long tank is a good size for them. Have rockwork to the side(s) and lean flat slate against the sides for them to spawn on. Petricolas would also be a great tank mate, however if there are ever fry, they will try their best to get them. Multies are a nice little bottom dweller that wouldn't bother the paracyps much either. Cyps are also a great companion - and they cannot interbreed. I find my paracyps swim out in the open center a lot when I moved my cyps into their tank. Good luck with them when you have your setup going - they're a very cool tang! (do make sure your setup is well established before adding them - they're also sensitive)

Additional info - I used crushed coral and pool filter sand mix for their substrate, which has worked well for me.

Last edited:

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I have had them before and even bred them they are a nice Tang but they are very timid by nature i kept mine in a 120gal and all they did was cling to the back side of the glass in my tank pointing downward probably because my back side of the tank is painted black and they felt more comfortable, they are a mouth brooder and will form pairs later even if you start out with 6 of them you can still leave the rest in the tank with the others..

Pretty much a 40gal breeder is on the small size but with care you can achieve this do not add Cyps they get a little bigger than the Paracyps more rotund in size..

As for tankmates you could probably do some shell dwellers if your goal is to breed the Paracyps but that's your call on the Julido's

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I don't keep any cyps, but I do have julie marleri burundi. I keep 4 of them in a 55g and haven't had any aggression problems. I do have a ton of holey rock for them so there are many hiding spots. 3 of them actually live in the same rock. I would say they are some of the least aggressive fish in my tank.
I like the Julie's too, they're a very pretty fish. You read so many contradicting things, I just like to hear from the owners how things go.
I saw your pictures, I love the holey rock, your tanks look fantastic!
Thanks!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I have the paracyps - love them. I keep them with some calvus and Julidochromis Ornatus, which are a pretty small and mild mannered juli. If they spawn however, I'll probably remove them. A 48" long tank is a good size for them. Have rockwork to the side(s) and lean flat slate against the sides for them to spawn on. Petricolas would also be a great tank mate, however if there are ever fry, they will try their best to get them. Multies are a nice little bottom dweller that wouldn't bother the paracyps much either. Cyps are also a great companion - and they cannot interbreed. I find my paracyps swim out in the open center a lot when I moved my cyps into their tank. Good luck with them when you have your setup going - they're a very cool tang! (do make sure your setup is well established before adding them - they're also sensitive)

Additional info - I used crushed coral and pool filter sand mix for their substrate, which has worked well for me.
Thanks Shayna for the info. I like the crushed coral/pfs idea, think that's what I'll wind up using. Please excuse the ingnorance but what are Multies? These are Cichlids I'm just starting to research, not sure about the names on some yet.:rolleyes:

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I have had them before and even bred them they are a nice Tang but they are very timid by nature i kept mine in a 120gal and all they did was cling to the back side of the glass in my tank pointing downward probably because my back side of the tank is painted black and they felt more comfortable, they are a mouth brooder and will form pairs later even if you start out with 6 of them you can still leave the rest in the tank with the others..

Pretty much a 40gal breeder is on the small size but with care you can achieve this do not add Cyps they get a little bigger than the Paracyps more rotund in size..

As for tankmates you could probably do some shell dwellers if your goal is to breed the Paracyps but that's your call on the Julido's
Maybe a 55 would be better, I just like the width on the 40b,18", the 55 is only 12", but the length is nice on the 55g.
Thank you, I have plenty to think about and research now. Much appreciated! I've seen pic's of your fish, they are beautiful and well cared for,nice tanks!

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Multies are multifasciatus - a small shell dweller that stays around an inch in size. Very cute little tang and they pile their shells and live in colonies. I would recommend at least 6 if you decide that's something you want to have.

There are some species of cyps that stay smaller than others, such as cyprochomis leptosoma utinta - others are jumbo cyps that will get larger. They need a minimum of 48" tank length. Cyps really help paracyps feel comfortable. Space and water quality are a huge factor for these fish, but if you can meet their requirements, I highly recommend them. Keep in mind cyps are a schooling fish, so you should have no less than 8.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Thanks Shaynablizard, those are what I've heard people call Shellies right? They are super cute! I saw a TV show on the Science channel last week about lake Tangenyika(sp?) They showed lots of the Cichlids that live there, including Shellies and how they stole shells from other shellies. They're a possibility too. I guess they work as dither fish. Saw a 75g and stand with hood for $75 today on CL. Going to email to see if it's still available. I'll save the 40b for something else. Thanks:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store