Plant of the Month Feb. 2011: Riccardia Chamedryfolia aka Mini pellia aka Coral Moss

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
Mini Pellia/Coral Moss
Riccardia Chamedryfollia

100_1503.JPG 100_1503_cr.jpg

100_1517_cr.jpg RC1.jpg

RC2.jpg

Origin; Unknown... but is established in cooler northern regions sporadically worldwide including South East Alaska.
Family; Aneuraceae
Genus; Riccardia
Species; R. chamedryfolia
Lighting; Low-Medium
Difficulty; Low
Growth Rate; very slow

R. Chamedryfolia likes cooler temps but has no problems growing @ ~76*F in my tank.

Riccardia Chamedryfolia is a very small liverwort that grows very slow and is a great plant for shrimp to pick through.

It will grow on wood or rough rock (epiphytically or lithophytically) if given the chance... at least until it gets thicker and the underside is too shadowed for the attached thallus to keep hold.

Since it's a liverwort, entire plants can grow out of a single cell. so it's possible to get this plant in a shipment with others and have no idea you have it until you have an entire plant flourishing in your tank.

As stated above Riccardia Chamedryfollia is a very small plant that grows extremely slow and is not very common. it can sometimes demand a pretty price to boot. given all these factors it's probably best used in nano tanks or as an accent on a piece of wood or rocks.

Riccardia Chamedryfolia is also known to grow terrestrially similar to moss, liverworts and bryophytes if given the necessary humidity. bryophytes in general enjoy soft, clean water. R. Chamedryfolia is no exception.

Top to bottom in the photos below:
R. chamedryfolia
R. graeffi
unknown Riccardia sp.

Best photos/link i've found so far... http://www.theteh.com/html/mini_pellia_coral_moss.html

a couple more pictures i took...

RC4.jpg

RC5.jpg

100_1503.JPG 100_1503_cr.jpg 100_1517_cr.jpg RC1.jpg RC2.jpg RC4.jpg RC5.jpg

Last edited:

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
thanks modernwar11; i'd go for it, if you can swing it.

msj; i totally agree

liverworts are pretty interesting to me because they're so simple and yet elegant in their own respect. a great way to add some green to that drab, dim area where anything else may seem inappropriate. this one's great because it seems to be really simple to keep happy. it doesn't float all over the tank like riccia, either. that's a great thing! :D

asukawashere

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Fairfield, CT
asukawashere.com
Real Name
Amanda Wenger
I have a little quarter-size wad of this stuff. It looks nice, but man does it grow slowly! Mine has been quarter-sized for a couple months now...only grown a tiny bit. Thinking of moving it to a setup with more light & ferts to see if that makes it pick up the pace. The Sußwassertang I currently have in the same setup has doubled or tripled in size in less time than it's taken the Riccardia to grow a quarter inch....

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
thanks modernwar11; i'd go for it, if you can swing it.

msj; i totally agree

liverworts are pretty interesting to me because they're so simple and yet elegant in their own respect. a great way to add some green to that drab, dim area where anything else may seem inappropriate. this one's great because it seems to be really simple to keep happy. it doesn't float all over the tank like riccia, either. that's a great thing! :D
exactly why i like it more then riccia.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
absolutely... i figured my fingers and the dime sitting on college ruled paper might help a little, but i know it's not sufficient. notice though, the (we'll call it stem thickness for sake of conversation) is not but maybe twice as wide as the line on the paper. about the width of a somewhat thick sewing needle.

i have a tidbit of hemianthus micranthemoides growing in soil i could snap a pic of it next to for size comparison if need be. the draw back... you'd have to know and be able to relate the size difference on hc also. still don't think i could do it justice, either.

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
absolutely... i figured my fingers and the dime sitting on college ruled paper might help a little, but i know it's not sufficient. notice though, the (we'll call it stem thickness for sake of conversation) is not but maybe twice as wide as the line on the paper. about the width of a somewhat thick sewing needle.

i have a tidbit of hemianthus micranthemoides growing in soil i could snap a pic of it next to for size comparison if need be. the draw back... you'd have to know and be able to relate the size difference on hc also. still don't think i could do it justice, either.

They do definitely help. :) But I just can't get over how shocked I was when I saw it in person!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store