first CO2 system

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mikekomm

AC Members
Oct 30, 2010
I just installed my first CO2 system on my 55 gallon freshwater tank. I have the regulator set to approx 1 bubble per second. I'm using a Red Sea Reactor 500. It seems that my CO2 bubbles are not being dispersed and circulated through the tank like other CO2 systems that I've seen. I have the Reactor set to the lowest setting per the instructions. I see some small bubbles rising from the Reactor and a "cloud" of bubbles at the water surface directly above the Reactor but other systems that I've seen have micro bubbles throughout the entire tank..... any thoughts?

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
pay close attention to your co2 levels. if your bubbles are being completely dissolved you could gas the tank fairly easily.

p.s. bubbles in your tank from your co2 system means dissolution isn't complete and your reactor isn't very efficient.

prober

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
eastern Washington (the state)
Real Name
Jeff
Ideally the reactor should take very small bubbles and dissolve them in the water. You should not be able to see bubbles leaving the reactor. Once the bubbles leave the reactor they usually just rise to the surface and gas off.

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
Ideally the reactor should take very small bubbles and dissolve them in the water. You should not be able to see bubbles leaving the reactor. Once the bubbles leave the reactor they usually just rise to the surface and gas off.
I do the co2 mist method and get a mist of bubbles coming out of my reactor. And i get very effective mixing.

prober

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
eastern Washington (the state)
Real Name
Jeff
Yeah, I have seen that also. Maybe he just needs more current where the bubbles are coming out of the reactor since he mentions that they are gathering at the surface of the tank. Powerhead maybe? I used to have a powerhead that had an airline attachement and have wondered if just plugging my air line from my DIY bottles to that would disperse the co2 better. Not sure how small the bubbles would be though.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
2 identical drop checkers...

1 in front of but not directly in the current of your discharge
1 at the opposite end of the tank

move them every couple days and you'll get an idea of where your co2 sits throughout the tank and where you may need flow/circulation to help equilibrate your co2 concentration throughout the tank.

divide by zero... test... and conquer!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store