Feeding Vegetables.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

baileya74

AC Members
Jan 29, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
I would like to start feeding my fish some Vegatables.
I have 2 Dwarf Gourami, 3 Pepper Cory, 6 zebra danio, 5 black tetra. I heard feeding lettuce, spinach and cook peas where good is that true?
Do I have to freeze that lettuce and spinach?
When they say cook peas.. do they really mean for me to cook the peas and then drop them in the tank??

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Yes, its true! Just don't feed iceberg lettuce, it doesn't have much nutritional value, use romain instead. Cooking them is usually boiling for a few minutes, just enough to make them soft (lettuce takes seconds). I've heard you should remove the outer shell of peas b4 giving them to the fish. Makes a great dinner conversation when you start peeling peas and your significant other says "What are you doing?" and you say "Preparing some for the fish." Then you get this perplexed gaze that makes you feel like you may be a little weird!;)

fishfood

Jerk
Sep 18, 2002
Ohio
I blanch spinach and feed it to my gaoumais every couple of weeks. They devour it quickly. It seems to be their favorite food.

You can freeze it, as you mentioned, rather than blanch (boil). This breaks it down and make it easier for digestion.

I'm a big fan of feeding a variety of foods, including greens.

sprite42

AC Members
Nov 17, 2003
arkansas
Visit site
Plecos like zucchini, blanched. Clown loaches like bananas, though don't put too much in the tank. I have also used squash, carrots, and leaf spinach. I nuke mine in the micro wave for about 30 sec in dechlorinated water, just enough to soften it. Fresh or frozen veggies are what I use.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
I have fed zuchini,cucumber, carrots, yams, swiss chard, spinach and my fish loved them all. I add the veggies to my tank witha fork attched to a fishingline. Just lower the fork in and remove it when they are done.That way i dont' have to get wet.

I freeze the carrots and yams before feeding them but the zuchini and cucumber the fish can eat ram, I jsut peel of fthe skin.

baileya74

AC Members
Jan 29, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
With all these hard veg. like carrot and yams wouldn't they have to be boiled first before giving to the fish. I guess to soften them up.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
I freeze the carrots and yams before feeding,t hat softens them up. I"m feeding those perticular foods to bottomdwellesr like plecos and loaches so they can eat the harder foods. If you were to feed these to regualr fish like tetras and such i would boil them untill quite soft.They dont' really eat the veggies like some other fish do.I feed veggies mostly to my africans, and bottom dwellers(plecos,loaches).In the tank that also have tetras and other community fish they dont' really eat any.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store