Malawi 20

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
I have a 20 gallon tall tank that i have had setup for lake malawi cichlids for the last 2 months and would like to ask if im going to run into huge territorial problems later in time. The tank is setup as follows: Blue/green gravel mix about 1" deep with 3 six inch diameter pots stacked into a pyramid in the center and then 1 3" pot to the left and a shard of another to the left. It has a Aquaeon 30 filter pumping at 200 GPH with several bio balls in the back of it along with a small bag of crushed coral. 2 Potted aponogins that i grew from bulbs both potted in the tank. (cichlids seem to be leaving them alone) THe tank is stocked with 1 yellow lab 1.5", 1 female kenyi 2", 1 Male Red Zebra 2" and 1 bumblebee cichlid 2+". Im doing about 25% water changes every week and am prepared to up that as much as needed in the future. I add tetra easy balance Nitraban to help with the bioload. I will add that everyone seems really happy in the tank and i haven't seen major fights just the normal clashes over food you see with all fish.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
You need a much bigger tank. That stocking is pretty horrible for a 20g, I'd go at least a 55g (though the crabo really needs a 75g). They are all still babies that is why you haven't seen issues yet, but I'd bet money you're going to shortly. That water change schedule is not near enough either.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I am surprised that the Bumblebees haven't killed off any fish yet, as for they are aggressive at an early age, but yep you will most def find issues here in a month or so..

None of the fish you have listed will survive in such a small setup when grown you may get lucky and have one fish to survive the whole process and even then it will live a miserable existence, Mbuna need space and plenty of others to feel comfortable and to equal out aggression, its the nature of the beast..

Bumblebees are probably one of the most aggressive species of Mbuna you could have chosen they will need at least a 75gal even then they will still terrorize the others, Kenyi and Zebras are pretty nasty as well and should be kept with at least 7 to 10 others of the same species so that no lone fish is subjected to aggressive beat downs.. Even though a fight will still happen from time to time..

If you plan to keep these guys i would start right now on trying to buy a 75gal setup if money is an issue go to craigslist.com and maybe you can find a deal on a used setup, once you have a nice size tank for Mbuna you will need to beef up the species like adding 6 to 7 of each species that you listed except the Bumblebees leave their numbers alone because if you get a mated pair they will over take your setup and the other fish will be pushed / punked in the corner..

This information is not to deter you only meant to help and to be successful in keeping Mbuna..

Now if the 20gal is the only tank you can have at this moment and there is no possible way of upgrading to a larger tank then i would scrub the whole mission with Mbuna and go a different route like smaller Tanganyika shell dwellers.. Not as pretty as Mbuna but are African Cichlids none the less..

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
First i only have one of each fish in my tank and i tried to select different colors to avoid any unneeded aggression. Thats odd that you would say that the bumblebee is the most aggressive in my tank setup, he normally keeps to himself over in the 3 inch pot to the right of the tank. IF i had to pick out one bully in the tank it would be the kenyi, i see him occasionally chase the red zebra into one of the holes in the tank but even thats rare.

pongo

AC Members
Mar 9, 2010
Minnesota
you asked if you are going to run into horrible problems later, the answer: most definitely YES!!! You have two species noted for their aggresion. While I'm sure it is a colorful tank at the moment I very much agree with the replies you have received so far. Your fish may live for awhile, but won't thrive, nor will you be able to observe the normal behaviors that Mbuna are known for. I'm guessing that you purchased these fish from a large pet store?? unfortunately they are common species for the large chain type stores but their true care and characteristics aren't supplied. Shelllies would be a neat use of the tank. Best of luck to you, a great source of fish would be a local fish club if one is in your area.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Definitely, a 20gal tank is not for mbuna; not for even the less aggressive mbuna species. As minimum, I would use a 3ft long tank (30gal) for a one species only dwarf mbuna setup; preferably of Pseudotropheus saulosi or Cynotilapia afra.

Last edited:

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
Thanks for the help everyone im talking to a guy about a 90 gallon tank on craigslist right now hopefully will be able to agree on a price. THen move them into that with a few others.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Now a 90gal would be awesome and will open the door to a nice African Mbuna setup I hope you get it my friend..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store