diy co2 help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oscardelahoya

on my way
Sep 30, 2010
central ohio
i know that diy co2 is an easy but hard process. i mixed a tsp of active yeast into a little lukewarm water and mixed every 2-3 minutes to keep it aerated. while the yeast was activating i mixed 2/3 of a 2 litre and 2 cups of sugar. after around 10 minutes i mixed the two mixtures together in my co2 reactor made of 3" pvc. its been about 2 hours now and i havnt seen one bubble. i dont know if the water was to hot which i dont believe it was. or could it have something to do with having well water? any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Dieprophezeiung

^^ also my gamertag
Jul 13, 2010
auburn, alabama
Real Name
Charlie
is it possible that you have a leak in the reactor? i know it took about an hour for mine to start producing bubbles. i made mine in a gallon Gatorade jug. if there are no leaks maybe try mixing up another batch. I mix a tablespoon of yeast into half a gallon of water with 2 cups of sugar.

DGC

All in One
May 8, 2010
London
Real Name
Darrell
a teaspoon is enough yeast, when ever i conect my new bottles i pinch the pipe and turn the bottle upside down and squeese hard, no leaks all good, i connect 4 bottles to a bubble counter, it takes time - yeast must be in warm water, add a bit of sugar to your yeast mix, if it does not froth its dead.

oscardelahoya

on my way
Sep 30, 2010
central ohio
Thanks everyone for the help. After I posted last night I switched everything over to a 2litre and I have bubbles. The reactor is leaking around the threads for the lid. Any ideas how to seal it up but still able to take it on and oiff?

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
new lid... the pliable plastic disk under the lid of a 2-liter is actually what makes the seal allowing the soda to keep the carbon in the bottle. if you can keep that intact and tighten your lid well, it should stop any leaks through the threads.

Dieprophezeiung

^^ also my gamertag
Jul 13, 2010
auburn, alabama
Real Name
Charlie
Also, to get the best seal around your tubing, use a drillbit that just fits the inner diameter of the tubing to drill the hole. You will have to cut an angle n the end of the tubing to pull it through the hole, but once u get it through you have an air tight seal without using any sealant.

Sigrid

AC Members
Jan 8, 2011
both hands in fish tank
Real Name
Bristlenose
*Lid seal on CO-2 bottle leaks*
Purchase the little clear plastic connectors that usually come with airstones.
Both ends of the connector are slender for hooking up air-tubing...
The center, however, is thicker.
Glue the connector into the bottle cover from *underneath* and seal with silicone. The fatter part keeps the connector seated tight and straigt in the bottle cap.
All my caps are done that way, and nothing comes lose.
Good luck.

prober

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
eastern Washington (the state)
Real Name
Jeff
I have the best luck when I use a meat thermometer and get my water to exactly 100*, that way it is not too hot but will stay warm for several minutes.

And also put a pinch or two of sugar in the cup after you mix the yeast in and stir it hard enough to make a froth. I don't stir after that but let it sit for 10 minutes before adding to my bottle. It should be foamy/frothy on top if the yeast is alive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store