Newbie, new tank, first aquascape - need plant advice (pics)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alwaysusa

AC Members
Jan 4, 2011
Hey all,

Finally found the rocks I wanted and sorted out my driftwood piece. It's my first attempt at this, so forgive any artistic faux pas, lol.

I bought a couple of random plants just to get me rolling (and found a nice big Sword for cheap).

I'm looking for recommendations for the back of the tank. The water flows from back to front, so I was thinking some long thin grasses that will provide dappled light and movement in the upper half of the tank?

I'm also looking for a low, lush ground cover that I'll be growing in the gully between the dark rock and the driftwood, then out onto the 'valley' floor.

Then, a few weeks down the line once I've cycled and prepped, I'll start stocking so any suggestions for that (nothing too difficult for a newbie) would help as well. I absolutely love the look of Neons/Cardinals, and love the nature of Zebra Danios. I had even considered only Neons, but perhaps a few different species to keep my wife interested :)

Finally, does anyone know what plants I bought? My LFS had no idea, they were just selling them for 2 bucks a piece so I grabbed a few. I assume they are common varieties as my LFS isn't exactly haut horticulture. I hope I didn't make a mistake grabbing them. It was driving me nuts not having any plants at all, even if only for a few days.

Set up info:
The tank will have DIY CO2 in the next few days, and I will be fertilizing if I can understand it all. The substrate is inert. Lighting is 2 x 24 watt T5 PowerGlo (18,000K). Slightly understocked eventually.

Tank dimensions are 30 long x 18 wide x 24 tall - 56 gallons.

Many thanks for your help!

front view.jpg side view.jpg

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Hi Alway, welcome aboard. If you are a newbie at 'scaping I have to tell ya, you have a great career ahead of you because this is a gorgeous setup already. Your selection and placement of the wood and rocks is lovely, and the sloping of the sand is exquisite. This IS a beach. A glance says so.

As to your questions....Are you looking for something like what this guy used for the tall/bendy grass in back? It's what I thought of when I read your description anyway. It grows tall enough in these contest tanks to bend over at the top but I'm not sure what their standard or maximum size growth is. The other problem is that I have no idea what the plant is called. But I'm sure somebody here can look at it and tell you. :)

You know the Amazon sword in the back corner (btw it will overgrow your tank and take over everything but that will take a year or so. Enjoy in the meantime.) The two leftmost I think are both rotalas, but I am not sure of the name of the one left over, at the intersection of the two wood pieces. You might want to scroll through the plant selections at one of the online stores, like liveaquaria.com, and match up what you have with the pictures there.

As you are working without livestock as yet, and with inert substrate, you are going to want to get some fertilizers in there posthaste as those plants are starving now. Once you have some fish, the uneaten fish food and fish poop, the cycle will start generating ferts on its own, but for now you are the only source of supply. Easiest thing if you want to stay fishless for now is something like Flourish root tabs; stick one under each plant and forget for a few months. There are liquids too but the tabs get the nutrients right to the target.

Or you can go get some fish. This is not PC to say these days but I have always done fish-in cycling, on the following schedule: Set up tank and basic scaping and filter and heater and such. Put in one to a few fish depending on tank size. Feed them, they commence to poop, the filter picks this up and deposits it in the media, the cycle begins. It begins small but your fish--your bioload--is small and its needs are few.

Test and do water changes regularly. Give this a couple of weeks to work, and then start adding. Water changes a bit more often after additions, as the cycle bacteria need time to reproduce to handle the increased load, but they are busy little bodies and will do exactly that. Repeat until you are where you want to be on livestock.

As to the plant you want in the space between the wood pieces, everyone will tell you to go with HC, Hernianthus callitrichoides. It is lovely stuff but I have never been able to get it to grow for me. You may have better luck. But there are alternatives. Micro sword grass is one, it would look perfect in that setting but it spreads like a weed and has interlinked roots that makes it hard to keep contstrained to the area you want it. Again, look around at the alternatives and give it a shot.

You are off to a great start. Keep us updated on the progress, eh? :)

(one other thing: If you want to keep the magnetic algae scraper in the tank, there is no rule saying it can't stay down in the bottom corner behind the sword between uses. The rest of your equipment is nicely placed so as to be unobtrusive, but the coloring on those mag scrapers is unfortunate. :) )

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I need better pics--- but the big one in the back looks like an Echindorus, but cannot tell which one.

The small one in front looks like a Cryptocoryne, but again too small for me to see.

The stem plant looks like Ludwigia, but same==too samll of a pic.

Alwaysusa

AC Members
Jan 4, 2011
Wow thank you! That's really nice to hear. Reading all the links and pictures posted here must have sunk in a little then!

Thank you for the tip on the fertilizers - I'll get some tomorrow (hopefully my LFS carries the pills).

That's exactly the kind of plant I wanted at the back. I have seen some of Amano's work (that is his, right?) while browsing these forums and he is an astonishing artist. I think my eyes are bigger than my stomach just looking at his tanks.

I love the look of that ground cover plant you linked. I'll do some reading on it and see if it's beyond my skill level. It's the perfect look though - stunning.

Algae cleaner has been moved :)

Sorry about the pics Tanker. I tried again but it's the best I can do with my iPhone. I did try looking some up but I think it takes a trained eye. They kind of look like a lot of stuff...

IMG_0299.JPG IMG_0298.JPG IMG_0300.JPG

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I agree, nice tank---but back to your plants.

Thanks for getting closer photos....
The first photo is Ludwigia Repens.
The second ---I cannot remember---XXXXX Cardinalis. Easy to grow, just the lower stem gets too much roots.
The third photo is Hygrophila Difformis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store