Help with Asian Biotope

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mudkicker

AC Members
Jan 24, 2011
Hello,

I am planning an Asian Biotope with mainly Espes Rasbora and Panda Garra. 32 gallon tank.

Coming from African Cichlids, I have no experience with plants. I would like some suggestions for some beginner plants that are endemic to the waters that Espes Rasbora are from.

Thanks

M

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Espeis are from slow, blackwater habitats, and panda garra are from fast moving, heavily oxygenated, clearwater streams. I'd go with one or the other, and choose the occupants to match your species of choice. A small group of panda garra, some tanichthys, and some rhinogobius or stiphodon gobies would make for an interesting and engaging riverine display.

Mudkicker

AC Members
Jan 24, 2011
...in that case, i would stick with the Espes. What bottom dwellers would mix well with them?

M

Cichlidgirl91

AC Members
Feb 8, 2008
Tobaccoville, NC
SE Asian biotopes are my favourite biotope, by far!! There are many different plants you could use and the fish from that region are so interesting. I had a biotope going before I moved - trio of gouramis, 2 different species of barbs, and lots of plants.
Here are some plants you could use:
Aponogeton undulatus
Blyxa japonica
Cryptocoryne sp.
Hygrophila sp.
Java fern
Limnophila sp.
Most types of mosses
Nymphaea stellata
Rotala sp.
Subwassertang
Good luck with your tank!!

Mudkicker

AC Members
Jan 24, 2011
thanks for the replies.

right now i am looking at these inhabitants:

Espes Rasbora
Dwarf Loaches
Siamese Algae Eater

After some internet research, it would seem that these three species inhabit very similar waters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store