Added second light. Will it help?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bluebomber

AC Members
Jan 4, 2011
Northern Virginia
Hi,

I just added a second light to my 20 gallon that already had a 24 watt compact fluorescent light. The new light is a Perfecto Fluorescent 17 watt, 60 hz, from a 10 gallon.

By the math I should have 41 watts at 2.05 wpg. Up from 1.2 wpg.
Will this make a difference with my plants giving that the one is only fluorescent and not compact fluorescent?

If not, then is there a way I can get a better bulb for it that will, or over drive it somehow to make it good?

Thanks

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Plants don't pay much attention to math.
People who aren't using T-12 shop lights with magnetic ballasts shouldn't pay any attention to watts per gallon. Watts per gallon doesn't work particularly well with T8 bulbs and electronic ballasts and is useless when one moves to anything more efficient such as power compact, T5NO, T5HO, or spiral compacts. Lumens is useless too as it applies only to light and human eyes.

The one important thing you left out is how far from the light to the top of the substrate. The roughly four inch difference between a 20H and a 20L is the difference between low and medium or medium and high light.
The 17 watt lamp will help as any extra light will help.

If budget is an issue, and it usually is for me, I suggest checking charity stores, thrift stores, garage sales, and Craig's list for an incandescent strip light. That will hold two 23 watt spiral compact daylight lamps that will provide a LOT more light than the fluorescent strip you have now. I particularly like the daylight ones labeled as "now smaller than ever" as they fit perfectly. And the good side is used incandescent strip fixtures are usually about a dollar. ;-)

DGC

All in One
May 8, 2010
London
Real Name
Darrell
i would wait, give it some time and see what the plants do. Are you using co2 and ferts.

bluebomber

AC Members
Jan 4, 2011
Northern Virginia
I diy co2 with a 2 liter and a mini diffuser.
I haven't learned anything about ferts yet.
Eco-Complete substrate if that helps.

Here's a good view of the tank.

Tank.jpg

prober

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
eastern Washington (the state)
Real Name
Jeff
Yeah, what he said! I have a bit too much light on my 20 with 130 watts of power compact light. I can't run both bulbs without starting to get algae although I do dose ferts. Now I run one 65 watt bulb of 6700k for about 8 hours and it is plenty. I also added a second bottle of DIY co2 staggered a week apart for more consistency and to get the levels a bit higher. Getting a steady 1 bubble per second in the bubble counter now.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Thanks for the great reply.
I'm having a little trouble finding and example of what you're talking about online.
Will it hold light bulbs like these?
http:

The lights are 15.5 inches from the substrate.
Hopefully that will help until I can get a new light.
That link is a spiral compact fluorescent.
Your 20 gallon is a 20H.
Keep an eye open for an incandescent strip light. Until then, see how things go with what you have now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store