One month old Dalmatian Molly Fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eastside Game

AC Members
Dec 14, 2010
Hello guys,
I was wondering whether i should put my 6 one month old molly fry in the tank with the other adult fish. Its a 10 gallon tank and it contains five platies, two swordtails females, a male molly, and two tetras. I don't have any plants in my tank, i have a castle and a few rocks in the corner. Should i wait another month or put them in the main tank?

Thank You

Last edited:

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
You should add plants for them to hide in/around..

tomandrews86

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Ontario, Canada
It depends more on the size of the fry as opposed to their age. If your certain that:
a)they wont been seen as "food sized" by your other fish and
b)they will be able to compete with the other fish well enough to keep their growing bellies full

As well make sure there is enough room in your tank - remember the general rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per gallon of H2O and from your current stock list your could easily be exceeding that, large platy may easily be 2.5" or larger and I have some female swords that are in the 3" range.

You might consider picking up another 10gal to grow them out in, with live bearing fish you can be sure there will be many more fry down the line they you'll surely want to grow out - in fact many times more than you or the LFS will want. On second thought, get a 20gal and turn your current 10gal into your grow out tank... bigger tanks are better right....haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store