How to increase growth in rotala rotundafolia?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I have had some for a couple months now in my 55, and noticed that is growing rather slowly. I've noticed that my free floating ones (too lazy to replant) have been growing faster than the planted ones, is this a sign of planting them wrong?

What bulbs should I get/use, I have a 55 gallon with 2 stock hood lamps. (Each is for a 29 I think)

No CO2, and there never will be any....

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I have bad luck with any stem plants in my low light no CO2 tanks. My guess is that CO2 is extremely beneficial when keeping these plants. I'm like you though, and plan to continue not using CO2.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I've heard so many horror stories about it, and the cost is really prohibitive.

Would added light work, (Don't care about algae, my plecos would love some!)

DJDrZ

AC Members
Jul 31, 2010
Collegeville, PA
I have R. rotundifolia in my tank. It grows so fast I cut it in about half every week. I can tell you what made the difference. Two things: dosing fertz, I can show you pictures of the bottom half of the stems when I wasn't dosing, and the air roots (or the underwater equivalent) are everywhere. The top half are green and vibrant. The other thing is I do CO2. I went pressurized a few months back and that has made a HUGE difference also. If you aren't willing to do CO2, at least dose fertz, including something like CO2 booster.

TwoHobbies

AC Members
Jun 26, 2008
More light will help UN. You want to use a 4000-6500K. Are you running a standard t12, or t8. If so they don't penetrate very well. How tall are the planted ones?

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
The reason the floating plants are growing better is because they have access to more co2.

I have this plant and it grows like a weed. I also have pressurized co2. I think more light isn't going to help a lot because what good is more light if your plants can't use it. You could try and dose Excell that will probably help a lot. Also dose fertz.

TwoHobbies

AC Members
Jun 26, 2008
Hate to disagree, but I also have this plant in all my 10g shrimp tanks. No CO2 in any and it grows just fine.

Don't get me wrong CO2 will help, but this plant will grow without it if you have enough light.

10G before.jpg

spacefish34

Sep 2, 2009
Bedford,TX
Real Name
Chris
I had the best luck with this Rotala with the following;It was a 29g.Light was a Coralife Aqualight Power Compact Fixture for Freshwater - Straight Pin - 65W - 10,000k,30" and a Coralife Freshwater Dual T-5 fixture -Colormax/6500k,30".For substrate i used red Flourite mixed with very fine gravel.I used two 2-liter bottles of diy co2,and fertilized with Brightwell Iron,Potassium,and FlorinAxis.Trimming and replanting this plant as soon as the tops reach the surface is key to this plants success.I'll include a pic of said tank.The rotala is growing on the left.Good luck...

asian.jpg

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I've grown some nice R. rotundifolia with decent light (2.67 wpg T5HO) but the problem was I couldn't use CO2 and only was able to dose ferts (dry) minimally. Eventually it became a hair algae magnet. I've grown some with a little less lighting (2 wpg T12) but the plant itself didn't grow nearly as fast. Not every tank will balance out the same way but if you add more light, you may need to compensate somewhere else.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store