ADA 75-P Tank Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ngfrazier

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
Lafayette, LA
Got my new ADA 75-P from ADGshop in Houston :headbang2:

Looking to build a "Nature style" tank.

My equipment List (as of 1/24/11):

Tank: ADA 75-P (with 2 bags of Aquasoil original)
Light: 150 watt Aqualine HQI bulb
Pendant: ReefOptix III
Ballast: Sunlight Supply Galaxy Electronic 150w HQI
CO2: 10lb aluminum tank
Regulator: Victor Model VTS253A-1993 (dual stage + dual gauge)
Filter A: Eheim 2217
Filter B: Eheim 2215
Heater: ETH Hydor 300 watt external
Stand: DIY "ADA" style (under construction)

I am currently working on the ADA-style stand and will cover it with a greyish Formica. Because my house is old and the floor is NOT level I added "leveling feet" to the stand. They are made in Germany and each can support 800+ pounds!

The last pic is of the pad which will cushion the tank. ADA charges $30.00 for what is essentially a yoga pad. My solution? Marshalls (a discount retailer) for $12.00!

Anyways, will update with pics. Your thoughts and comments are always welcome!

IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0018.JPG image002.jpg image003.jpg image004.jpg image005.jpg image006.jpg image001.jpg

DGC

All in One
May 8, 2010
London
Real Name
Darrell
great start, i would work on the front of the stand though it does not look strong enough.

ngfrazier

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
Lafayette, LA
Thanks for the comments!

I just wanted to say a couple things about the DIY stand...

I tried to follow the guides online (this forum and others). I went with 3/4" plywood instead of particleboard. I learned a couple things along the way: always buy the BEST plywood you can afford. Why? Because it is darn near impossible to straighten 3/4" plywood unless you are a wood shop.

Another thing I learned: clamps are your friend! You can never have too few clamps... Clamps are also excellent because they allow you to keep the structure square as you construct it. Another (cheaper) way would have been to construct a frame and THEN overlay it with plywood.

Lastly, another (small) thing is how i learned to cut the half-oval shaped handles/tubing cutouts... Because I could not find any instructions, I used the trusty ole Microsoft Paint and drew an oval and printed it out. I went through a couple revisions until I liked the size; then, I cut out the shape and folded it in half and then traced the shape to the wood. Once I had the shape, I used a router to cut the form. It seemed to work OK, although I had to sand the shape a bit to give it a fully round shape.

I will update with more pics soon....

Stay tuned!

FallenAngel

AC Members
Sep 11, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
Sounds great. What kind of ideas do you have in mind for the actual aquascape of the tank?
You said above that it would be 'Nature Style'. What sorts of plants? Any ideas on the hardscape (Driftwood, Rocks etc.) yet?

Can't wait for the updates!

ngfrazier

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
Lafayette, LA
Sorry 'bout the delays...

Hi all,

I have been super busy at work and have not been working on the tank. I purchased a couple more parts for the CO2 system (stainless steel needle valve, stainless check valve, and stainless solenoid to complement the Victor regulator).

FallenAngel asked about the tank style ideas...

As to the hardscape, I was thinking:
-Manzanita wood which would "pierce" the top of the tank, giving the illusion, such as this:

Along with a cool decorative piece of wood, I want to incorporate a dark and light substrate (sand and aquasoil) like this:

Although, I want more of a slope and depth in my tank, like this:

I hope those pictures give you a better idea of what I'd like to do. I have a couple ideas on plants (I will definitely get HC), but I'm still undecided at this point.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store