Small sump + canister?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
I have a 60 gallon reef (1 coral right now) and there is a 10 gallon sump with no separations just a small liverock/skimmer/return and I also have a Filstar XP4 Canister Filter running beside it. I am looking to build a new sump and there is a 30 gallon available for close to nothing but I would need to use up the entire cabinet and get rid of the canister. My question is if I set this sump up right will it be a right choice?

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
Short answer - yes. A properly setup sump has many benefits over a canister filter and small sump in a marine aquarium.

The largest being overall maintenance of your filtration system and the effectiveness of it. 30gallons gives you a lot of room for pumps, skimmers, heaters, a DSB fuge, more live rock, macro algaes, turf scrubbers, sponges, foam, reactors, and just about anything else you could want to stick down there.

dlyon101

AC Members
Dec 30, 2010
This is a little off of the subject, but what about using filter socks in the sump? I've heard of some reasons not to use them, but yet some of the more expensive sumps come with them. I've got a Trigger Systems Elite sump and it has filter socks and a spong where the water goes into the return chamber. I don't think any little organisms such as pods can make it through those two obstacles.

The filter socks have "junk" in them though so they serve some purpose by providing a small amount of mechanical filtration. Also, the spong seems to keep most of the microbubbles from the skimmer from going into the return change and thus back into the main tank (I may have excess microbubbles though because my skimmer is only about 2 weeks old).

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Another yes here, for all the reasons posted above.

No real need for the cannister filter, really.. Long term it can do more harm than good.

you definately won't be disappointed replacing your 10g sump/fuge with a 30g.

When you do, we can help you out with dividing your tank!

Good luck!

Dylon,

for years Ive always known that in a marine tank, you don't want any "mechanical" filtration blocking anything from getting into the main tank.. However, I recently gave filter socks a try, and for now, I'll be sticking with them. imo, bacteria will still get through the sock, and, since the sock is placed in the 1st chamber of the sump (tank drain), the fuge still has plenty of organisms to make their way to the main tank.

Only drawback is that they have to be cleaned and changed every 3 days or so.

Then again, this is my opinion and not necessarily the ideal setup. All I know is that it helps keep my water crystal clear.

dlyon101

AC Members
Dec 30, 2010
Good information... thanks! I'll keep using mine for now. Hopefully there won't be many copepods or amphipods that make their way back to the tank drains. I've seen a few amphipods in my fuge (probably came on my chaeto), but they haven't made their way up to the main tank yet.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Good information... thanks! I'll keep using mine for now. Hopefully there won't be many copepods or amphipods that make their way back to the tank drains. I've seen a few amphipods in my fuge (probably came on my chaeto), but they haven't made their way up to the main tank yet.
They are there, but hidden ;). That is where they originated in most cases.

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
Keep bubbles out of your return with a bubble trap, leave sufficient room for by mechanical filtration, make your fuge as large as possible, and plan it all around the equipment you want to run. Lots of ways to do it, all about figuring out what's best for you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store