1st mudskippers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mudskipper10

Sharkie
Jan 24, 2011
what is a good beginner mudskipper? should i use mud or sand i can get a 40 gal max. thanks:crazy::22_yikes::grinno::rolleyes::jaw-dropping::jaw::idea::grinyes:

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
If you have a 40 use sand because they love to dig. And I got Africans but they are quite agressive and territorial. The vietnamese ones are smaller and much more social. They will climb onto your hands to eat. Don't mix the two because the Africans will kill them. And remember, they are brackish water so they are a little more difficult than fresh water fish. this is a pic of my first setup.
mud.jpg

mud.jpg

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
I did a ton of research and here's what I decided on: a group of indian mudskippers (more social and stay smaller) in a 75 gallon aquarium with pool filter sand, a little fine crushed coral, and refugium mud mixed together. I used pvc pipes and the mud to create some burrow holes in the sandy end of the tank for them. I used smooth driftwood and limestone rocks in the water end of the tank for them to climb up on. I put some ghost shrimp and nerite snails in the water to do a little cleanup since they do well in brackish waters. So far the skippers don't pay any attention to them, but may decide to eat the shrimp one day. I have mangrove seedlings currently on the way also.

PS to Jackiomy: I like your set up!!

Last edited:

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Indian mudskippers are the only kind of mudskippers available that do very well together. They are considered a dwarf. African mudskippers need a lot of space, and then it might be possible to have two or three of them in the same tank, but they are much bigger and more aggressive than the indian mudskippers. You definitely would not want to mix the two. I think in the size of tank you're planning, one african or 4-6 indian mudskippers would be your best choice. Someone else here might be able to give you more info from experience, but that's my understanding from the info I've gathered.
You may want to check out the book Brackish-Water Fishes: An Aquarist's Guide to Identification, Care & Husbandry by Neale Monks. I just bought it and it has a lot of info on mudskippers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store