will flourite stay full of nutrients without rootfeeders

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bluemeate

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
or is this guy full of it?

from craigslist
Fluorite aquarium substrate - enough for a 30 gallon fish tank . Used for a year without any root feeders so it has pretty much all of its nutrients - $10
i ask becuase im in the process of setting up a 20gal planted tank

he also posted these
Co2 system with 3 ladders so you can set it up for upto 3 tanks - $20
flourite
co2 thingy

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm pretty sure that Flourite doesn't have any nutrients to begin with. What it does have is a decent CEC rating which allows it to absorb and store nutrients from ferts or fish poop for the plants to use. At least that is my understanding of the product.

bluemeate

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
so is this a good buy?

Taysius

Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I'd say so. It will probably be a bit dirty so a rinse will be needed but it's normally 20lbs for 20 bucks or so when you buy it new and you still have to rinse the heck out of it.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I'm pretty sure that Flourite doesn't have any nutrients to begin with. What it does have is a decent CEC rating which allows it to absorb and store nutrients from ferts or fish poop for the plants to use. At least that is my understanding of the product.
:thumbsup:

bluemeate

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
and so i know how much im getting, how many lbs per gallon?

Taysius

Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
That really depends as you don't know how deep he had it in his tank and what the foot print was. Its at least a bag for half the price, probably two bags is my guess.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Flourite does not lose it's mineral content and should last the life of your aquarium.

Seachemmineralcomparison.png

Seachemmineralcomparison.png

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
If the deal is local, it's good.
If it involves shipping or a long drive, a bag of OilDri is under $10.00
Color varies, but it too is a fired clay media. OilDri is fired at a lower temp, so it will break down more quickly than flourite, but not fast enough to notice.

One of my favorite substrate mixes, for color, is flourite and OilDri.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store