my angel isn't eating? HELP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishrec

Registered Member
Jan 18, 2011
i have been feeding him but he just stays where he is and doesn't bother to eat
why i have 1 other angel in the tank and she is his age hope that helps

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
What are you feeding? Temp? How big is the tank? When was it set up? Do you have a test kit? If so test your water and post the results.
I get this with my fish when there uncomfortable with there environment. Do you have any deco?

TheAdmiral

Studious Fish Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2011
Rochester, NY
Real Name
Emily Malley
Heat treatment?

It's very important to determine why it isn't eating. Stress can come from many sources that might cause them to stop feeding. Are there any symptoms other than not eating? If the fish swims normally, looks normal and acts normal, then it's not likely a bacterial infection or an external parasite. It could have an internal parasite such as a nematode, flagellate or other parasite. It could also be recovering from the stress of transportation or frequent tank changes.

Unless you have a microscope and the knowledge to identify the possible parasites, then the best course of action is a heat treatment. Caution: do not use heat if the fish is bloated, fins are clamped, has a thick slime coat, has ragged fins or red streaks in the body/fins.

Raise the temperature over a period of 24 hrs to 95-96 F. Hold it there for 7-10 days. Make sure aeration is good. When feeding, offer only one bite to each fish. It's very important to not offer more, even if they eat the bite. If they don't eat it within 2 minutes, remove the uneaten food. If you do not, then expect to fail. Food left in water of this temperature will spoil very quickly and will likely turn the fish off to that particular food forever. If the fish does eat the bite, then repeat this procedure every few hours for the next 2 days. After that, slightly increase the amount of food offered each day until it is eating normally. Slowly lower the temperature over the next 24 hours.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i wouldn't suggest the above. we don't know what is wrong with the fish and raising the temperature could stress it more, possibly to the point of expiration.

how long have you had this angel? how old is it? what are you trying to feed to it?

maybe a hunch........ the other angel is harassing this one to the point where it is scared to eat? maybe not harassing it at feeding time, but keep an eye on your tank, especially when the tank lights are off.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
From the scarce amount of info we have...I have determined the cause to be aliens!!!! :hypnotized:

Just kidding.

If it's new, here are 2 ideas:

1) Other angel is bullying it.
2) It's new to the tank and will take a while to get settled.

Do you have adequate cover for it? Are they the same SIZE as well as age? A pair of angels I got from a buddy's tank are 3.5~ years old, and didn't eat for the first 5 days once switched to mine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store