Aluminium Plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jamesmelb

Registered Member
Jan 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi All,

First time poster :)

I did a search on here and on Google and have found mixed opinions on Aluminium plants.

I was at the Aquarium today and the guy suggested that I buy an aluminium plant because they look great in the tanks.

Once I put everything in the tank, I looked up the plant to read about it but I'm getting some sites saying that they're great for aquariums and other sites saying that they die, rot and kill all fish.

It is fully submerged in the tank and I don't know what to do.

Does someone have a definate answer?

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Hi James.... looks from my (brief) googling that this is not a submerged growing plant at all. The first hit comes from a site on houseplants. It may survive underwater for a time but I fear it will drown and die in short order.

as to whether it would kill fish? I dunno. Doesn't seem like there's anything particularly lethal about the plant, but in a confined space any decaying object is not going to be a good influence. :)

Since it's already there, just keep a close eye on it and see how it goes. If it starts turning brown or wilting I would pull it out and put it in a pot by the windowsill. It, the fish, and you will be better off with that arrangement.

There are plenty of nice plants that really do grow happily underwater you have to chose from. Check the AC Marketplace, there are usually plenty for sale cheap from other members.

best wishes..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store