Fert questions.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nocturnus

AC Members
Feb 26, 2004
Central Texas
www.photo-mojo.net
Real Name
Ed
Camera Used
Canon 70d
Say I do daily dose manually. I need to go out of town for 3-4 days. Will not dosing my ferts over those days cause harm to the tank (ie: algae growth)? I'm still working up a way to do my dosing where I don't have to mess with it other then mixing up a new batch.

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I wouldnt suggesting adding all ferts all at once (especially with plants that are not big nutrient hogs). Instead decrease the photoperiod to a few hours less than what it is normally. If you are gone for only 3-4 days your tank should be just fine.
It also depends on the plant species that you have, if you have those who are very sensitive and require a constant high level of nutrients/light then they may slightly melt off. And looking at your tank photos you do not have those plants...

DGC

All in One
May 8, 2010
London
Real Name
Darrell
I would dose normaly on the day you leave and leave the lights off until you get back.

CoryWM

AC Members
Nov 11, 2008
www.tankgeek.com
I personally feel you'll be fine with just dosing the day you leave. However I am a firm believer in testing it out while you're there. I wrote an article on going out of town with a fish tank. The premise is that, you should starve your plants of the nutrients while your home. So on lets say day 2 or 3, if all heck is breaking loose you can remedy it.

A more lengthy article on the subject of leaving your aquarium unattended.
http://www.tankgeek.com/2011/01/13/give-fish-vacation

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
When I left for a week long vacation I left my tank in a black out with no ferts. The plants did fine while I was gone and everything went back to normal.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
I wouldnt suggesting adding all ferts all at once (especially with plants that are not big nutrient hogs). Instead decrease the photoperiod to a few hours less than what it is normally. If you are gone for only 3-4 days your tank should be just fine.
It also depends on the plant species that you have, if you have those who are very sensitive and require a constant high level of nutrients/light then they may slightly melt off. And looking at your tank photos you do not have those plants...
:clap:

clogstonian

AC Members
Apr 3, 2007
Seattle
let us know how it all works out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store