Another Noob with Noob Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NegativeLogic

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Hi,

I've wanted to keep Saltwater for about as long as I've had aquariums, but was always really intimidated by it. Having had some success with my high-tech planted tanks, and also an (almost) empty 33 gallon on hand. I'm seriously considering a nano-reef.

Here's what I was thinking, comments and criticism are very welcome:

Equipment:
  • RO/DI Water Filter
  • Tank: 33 Gallon rimless
  • Lighting: 4-bulb T5 HO - would I able to keep soft coral with this? (Obviously I'd change the bulbs from the planted tank setup I have now)
  • Protein Skimmer: Aqua-C Remora HOB
  • Refractometer
  • Heater
  • Powerheads: 2 Hydor Koralia (425 GPH) - is this too much flow or not enough flow? I'm a little unsure on how much water movement I'd want. My planted-tank brain envisions this as a hurricane blowing through the water, but I understand that it should be turbulent, so advice would be appreciated.
  • Salt (obviously)
Unfortunately I won't be able to have a sump in the current location, but I was considering a CPR Hang-on Refugium to at least provide a little extra in the filtration and water volume department.

Hardscape:

~45 lbs of Live Rock
~40 lbs of Aragonite sand

Livestock:

This is where I'm really running into some challenges, especially in terms of stocking level and compatibility - any suggestions as to what would be some good livestock (a clownfish? some sort of blenny? dwarf angelfish?) for a first-time nano-reef would be great.

I'd also like some other inverts - I guess the "clean-up crew" but again, not sure what an appropriate stocking level for snails, shrimp, hermit crabs etc would be.

Also, would I be able to keep some soft coral with the lighting I have? From what I've read I believe I should be fine, but again, it's all very new.

I'm also a little unclear as to what exactly I would put in the refugium, aside from macroalgae, and either live sand or refugium mud (or if anything other than macroalgae should be in the refugium).

Thanks!

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
How deep is your tank? As far as lighting a 4 bulb t5HO (I'm assuming this is a 24" fixture) should be plenty for even some LPS and basically any soft corals. People have kept LPS and even some of the hardier SPS under PC's with otherwise immaculate care - not saying it'd be a good idea for your first time.. But it's doable.

Everything sounds like you're off to a pretty good start, hopefully the more experienced guys will chime in shortly to give some more detailed advice.

Research the crap out of anything you're even halfway interested in for the tank, look at other similar options (this is for ANY livestock and any equipment) and be as patient as humanly possible. :)

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
Depending on the wattage I would venture a yes that your light fixture will support corals. As for stocking, first determine what you would like for your center piece then research requirements for that animal and look into compatibility from there.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Here is a link to a sticky on beginner fish for reef or fowler.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104220

NegativeLogic

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Thanks! Yes, they're 24" bulbs. The tank is about 13" deep if I recall (not at home so I can't measure right now). They're 24 watt bulbs, so I'm looking at a total of 96 watts, or just under 3 WPG.

Thanks for the link wizard - I'll take a look and hopefully get a better idea of what I want to stock.

The last thing I want to do is screw this up, so I'll definitely research the crap out of whatever I decide on.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Good start. 4 bulb T5 is more than fine for softies and most LPS, especially on a 13" deep tank. What brand fixture and what kind of reflectors? If a decent fixture you should be able to keep SPS as well. Look into ATI and Gieseman bulbs.

All of the fish you listed are fine. The DA is pushing it size wise though and know that DA's can nip corals. Research the pygmy angels such a and the cherub or flameback (can nip corals too though). Maybe 3 to 4 small fish total but they should be added slowly.

For a CUC, start small. Maybe 12ish or so total snails and hermits if you choose to have any.

Not enough flow IMO. If you want koralias consider 2 Evolution 750s. If your tank is really shallow, maybe 1x 750 and 1x 425 evo.

NegativeLogic

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Thanks Greech!

This is the exact fixture I have:

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=71_136&products_id=1414

I can get Gieseman bulbs locally at the one decent SW LFS here, so I'll definitely look into that.

Thanks for the stocking level advice too, and I'll be careful about a DA then.

Do you have a non-koralia powerhead recommendation? They seemed pretty popular so I thought they'd be a good choice. Either way I'll make sure to go with more flow then.

snupa

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey, USA
Pretty good list you have I also like royal grammas and gobies depending on whether you want a peaceful community tank or not

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Koralias are popular because of the bang for the buck. However, their flow rates are a bit overstated IME (I have owned 5 of them). If you want a very good PH then look to Tunze. In contracts to Koralia, their flow rates seem understated OR it may be that their design actully allows the stated flow output to occurr. I have seen a tank much like mine opearting with 2 Tunzes and the water movement is considerably better. Not sure which models to tell you to look at but I would imagine somewhere in the 6015 to 6025 range. I think a 6045 is going to be too much for a shallow tank like yours.

If you really want to go all out a single vortech MP10 would be great.

NegativeLogic

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Pretty good list you have I also like royal grammas and gobies depending on whether you want a peaceful community tank or not
I'll take a look at these - the royal grammas are pretty striking, and there seem to be a lot of awesome-looking gobies too.

Thanks for the powerhead suggestions Greech! I'll see what I can find.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store