topsoil as substrate?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dieprophezeiung

^^ also my gamertag
Jul 13, 2010
auburn, alabama
Real Name
Charlie
Okay.. so I read some treads where people had successfully used topsoil as a substrate for planted tanks and the have done really good. So I went to homedepot today and picked up some Poting soil not even thinking about the difference. I got home, put the soil into my 10g and pored water onto a plate as not to disturb the soil.... Well, after I took the plate out and stepped back to look at what had happened, I noticed all the soil floating on top of the water. I could see light through the water under the floating island of soil.. I had to leave it to go eat at a friends house so maybe some of it will be sunk when i get back, but im thinking im going to have to wash the tank and get some new "TOPSOIL".

Has anyone here used topsoil or even poting soil?

Dieprophezeiung

^^ also my gamertag
Jul 13, 2010
auburn, alabama
Real Name
Charlie
The only problem I have read about using topsoil as a substrate is occasional ammonia spikes due to ferts in the soil and organic material breaking down. I imagine this might not cause as much as a problem for certain inverts, but Im planning on putting some female bettas in here.

Dieprophezeiung

^^ also my gamertag
Jul 13, 2010
auburn, alabama
Real Name
Charlie
So im no substrate expert, but i think somthings wrong here... :flamed:

IMG_0409.JPG

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Like I said you need to put gravel or sand over it.

Inverts are way more sensitive to ammonia than fish and I never had any issues with mine. I would keep an eye on the parameters at first but it really should not be an issue.

Last edited:

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
levitating soil!!! lol.

like Ashley said, you need to cap the soil with some other substrate - sand or gravel. i personally would go with sand.

Dieprophezeiung

^^ also my gamertag
Jul 13, 2010
auburn, alabama
Real Name
Charlie
levitating soil!!! lol.

like Ashley said, you need to cap the soil with some other substrate - sand or gravel. i personally would go with sand.
Well... it is "top soil" right?? :D

but yea i will deff get some sand tomorow. was hoping I could just use the soil for a more natural look, but guess thats not gonna happen!

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Simple fix. Put the light on the bottom and plants upside down in the substrate. You could have an upside down tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store