GSP eat java moss?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AwesomeM96

AC Members
Jan 15, 2011
Real Name
Michael
Hey I was wondering can GSP's eat java moss, will they eat java moss, and if they do is it toxic or not? Plz respond!!! THX!

tigi78840

AC Members
May 27, 2010
Del Rio,(AKA The Seventh Circle of Hell), Texas
Real Name
Tanya
They put holes in my plants,lol, I feed them good meaty stuff too, (ramshorns,pond snails, market shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, the occassional earthworms and crickets(rinsed) that my kiddos find and want to watch them eat(although prolly not the best because of potential lawn chemicals)BUT the earthworms and crickets haven't hurt them yet, and boy do they love'em! Anywho, if at any pet store or fish store you see a tank that has had gsp's in a tank for a while with plants, you will see little, almost perfectly round holes in the plants. Yeah, the plants I had in their tank got hole punched, too,lol, oh yeah, however, they most likely won't eat java moss, but you never know, they seem to like to taste all of mine.(java fern)and leafy things

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Are you sure they arn't maybe grabbing surviving snails off the plants (unlikely they'd allow any to live long enough to be pulled off of plants but who knows...)? They arn't generally well known for eating plants but stranger things have happened.

I remember reading that some types of wild puffer species have been found with algae and plant matter in their stomachs. It wasn't known if they actually supplement their diet with it or if it came from their food (snails & shrimp would be filled with the stuff), but it is in their diet whether they eat directly or not. It shouldn't hurt them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store