Has this ever happened to your cichlid?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Is it only on top or is it happening on the side fins and tail? What are the tankmates? I'm not sure what it is, but I'd think it's either due to fin biting from a tank mate, or fin erosion due to poor water quality - maybe a combo of both. Please post more info on water and tankmates and someone here may be able to help more.

Edit: Hmmm read your other thread that you say your ammonia levels, etc aren't elevated and only other tankmates are bn plecos. This isn't something I have experience with. Increasing the heat, adding some extra salt like you've done, and upping the water changes help heal fish in general. I hope someone is able to provide more info to help you.

Last edited:

feylind

AC Members
Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
does this look like fin rot to you? atm im treating it as fin rot with melafix and pimafix, but reading around the internet it seems these 2 treatments have variable results.

Im not sure how my fish caught it as i do a 40% water change every week. he lives in a 120x36x30cm tank with some bristlenoses. the only thing i can think of was i was a couple of days late changing the water and that the bristlenose (2 adults, 30 babies) are growing up more and therefore mucking up the water more.

The tops of his fins are disappearing and at the end of each barb there is a white nodule, it doesnt look fungus-ey, it looks more like an ulcer or inflamed lymph node. His fins are inflamed as well. Ive got some pictures below. Its also spreading to his pelvic and anal fins.

Ive had him for almost 4years please help!
Does it look like fin rot to you? Is it in a serious stage? what treatments have you used that have been effective?
the water parameters are fine and i've also put some salt into the water.
Do you think i should get some maracyn II?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
if it's bacterial you don't want to increase the heat at all. bacteria thrive in warmer conditions and that could exacerbate the problem.

have you tried doing daily water changes to keep the environment as clean as possible?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store