Gauging interest for dwarf cichlid social group

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
Although I like most fish, I continue to have a growing passion for dwarf cichlids, both old world and new world. I would like to form a social group for all aquarist that enjoy dwarfs. Yet, I don't want to start a group that ends up with only 1 or 2 people in it like some other groups that I have seen.
The purpose of this group would be for other dwarf aficionados to have a place to come together and share our passion, knowledge and experience. Also, it would be to expand the availability and understanding that there are a lot more dwarf cichlids out there than most hobbyist realize.
It seems that when someone asks about dwarfs, most answers come back to a very limited species variance.
When asked about SA cichlids, you here Bolivian rams, gbr's and apistos( mainly agassazi and caucatoids). When asked about African riverine, you hear ..... well kribs( P. pulcher). There are alot more apistos out there and tons more Pelvicachromis out there. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy all of the above mentioned though.
It seems that we are narrowing the hobby instead of expanding upon it. This is very disheartening to me since as an aquarist our goal is to expand and diversify upon the species that we keep and our knowledge of them. If we want to go with the flow, we should all wear the same clothes, eat the same foods and drink the same drinks. Sounds a little "Big Brother " to me.
If there is enough interest in this and enough people are willing to jump on board, it would be nice to eventually have a "dwarf cichlid of the month" thread like we are seeing with other aquatic aspects of our hobby(passion).
Don't we owe it to our wet pets/ fin kids to do what we can to expand on our options and knowledge to what is available to us as hobbyist?
I hope that I am not alone in this train of thought. So, please chime, give your input(pro or con). I would hate to see everyone with only rifties, angels, discus and such. What is the point if we do all the same thing?, we gain nothing but uniformity.
Thank you for reading and I hope that there are more members here at AC that feel the same way.~FNC~

All fish need love.

Last edited:

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
Yep, I'm on there too. Mainly because it is so hard to get interest in dwarfs( other than the most common). I will not give up here though. I love AC!
Mike Wise and Ted Judy also are some of the most knowledgeable I have found.
Good, that makes 2 so far.
Keep the replies coming and lets help to expand on AC's dwarf forums and knowledge!!!!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
That sounds like a good idea. I'm doing some research now on what dwarf/small cichlids to keep for my next tank. I have Bolivians and Geo. Steindachneri's but I'd like dwarf African Cichlids for my next tank. Would be nice to learn more about them. I've been checking out the stock lists at Atlantis, in upstate NY. Lots of super cichlids there.

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
That sounds like a good idea. I'm doing some research now on what dwarf/small cichlids to keep for my next tank. I have Bolivians and Geo. Steindachneri's but I'd like dwarf African Cichlids for my next tank. Would be nice to learn more about them. I've been checking out the stock lists at Atlantis, in upstate NY. Lots of super cichlids there.
Also, be sure to check out www.aquaticclarity.com . Alot of different wc pelvicachromis species and not so common apistos can be found there. There is also some awesome driftwood and many different rifties to be found( from all the rift lakes).

So that now makes three. If we can get a few more, it will be worth the time and effort for us to do this and also make it a productive group at the same time!!! Keep the input rolling in ACer's!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Thanks for the site:) Will check it out in a bit,lol, gotta do some work in a few minutes...but, i found a dwarf that I haven't heard of, but of course I'm new at this. Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis, very nice looking and not aggressive from what I've read.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Sounds good to me! I've got a breeding pair of panduros that are moving to their own tank soon!! Would love to try some of the other small guys!!

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I only have Keyholes currently, not sure if they are dwarf enough for you but I'm interested. I'm picking up some curviceps this weekend that my LFS ordered for me as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store