Lighting question - two short sessions or one long session?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alwaysusa

AC Members
Jan 4, 2011
Hey all,

I am usually working from 8am through to about 7pm. I love to potter with my set up in the morning and evening, but if i go for 10 hours of light per day in one session, one of those times is going to be with a dark tank.

Do you see any issues with have 2 sessions of light during the day? Let's say 7am - 10am, and then 5pm - 12pm? Will this cause issues for the plants? I'm not sure if they need a more natural cycle to flourish.

10 hours is arbitrary right now - I'm still working out the best lighting conditions, but either way it would need to be staggered to work for my schedule if possible.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
It's generally not suggested, but personally I agree that the plants arn't really going to be sitting there sulking because they didn't get all their light in one session.

Personally I have mine set up similarly. 8-9am to 12-1pm and 9-10pm to 1-2am. I have trouble getting good growth from some plants (water wisteria, rotala, moneywort) but I think that has more to do with having too much light on the tank then the lighting schedule. Water sprite grows so fast in the tank that I've already split it into 3 seperate plants (and getting ready to trim one back soon) in a few weeks.

DGC

All in One
May 8, 2010
London
Real Name
Darrell
I have 2 x 40w and 2 x 38w all t8- i run these for about 8 hours then off and my 2 18w jebo reds come on. the tank is in our bed room ...

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
15 hours is even longer... but my 30 hasn't complained yet. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store