how many cfl for 40g breeder?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

koipoloi

Something fishy here.
Sep 17, 2009
Missouri
Real Name
Alex
I am in the process of putting together a 40g breeder to replace my 29g planted tank. I am building a canopy for it that will have diy compact florescent lighting. My current tank is somewhat low light at about 1.2 watt per gallon with diy co2. I have been and will be growing anubias, java fern, crypt lucens and amazon swords. My question is this. How many compact florescent bulbs will I need to keep similar to slightly better plant growth in the 4og breeder. The tank will be more gallons but 2" less deep then the 29g. Would 3 sockets with the 13watt daylight cfls do?(40watt equiv) Or do i need more?

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
with good dome style reflectors and vertical orientation... 3... just to spread the light a bit.

another way... i'd have to agree with everyone else.

koipoloi

Something fishy here.
Sep 17, 2009
Missouri
Real Name
Alex
Thanks for all the input. I have decided to go with 4 higher watt cfl and will make a reflector with vinyl guttering lined with reflectix tape.
I am tempted to get a retrofit kit from ahsupply.com but being frugal want to try the cheaper route first.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store