Aqua One AR-850 Filter Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jamesmelb

Registered Member
Jan 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi All,

I have an Aqua One ar-850 tank with the standard two filter cartridges and power head. The tank has been running for about a month now, has fish in it and is stable.

When I do my weekly water change and I rinse out the carbon units with the tank water and place them back in and turn the power head back on all these white particles go into my tank. I believe it is coming from the ceramic noodles as there is nothing else white in the whole filtration system.

Each cartridge currently has the following layers:

--Water flows in--
Aqua one carbon unit with the fine wool filter pad on top
Course filter pad
Ceramic noodles
--Water flows out--

This is why I think that with the force of the water flowing back through the noodles, particles are ending up in my tank and it clouds right up and takes hours to clear.

My question is how should each filter cartidge be setup? Should there be another fine filter pad under the ceramic noodles to catch any particles that might have been missed?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated and sorry if some of the terms above aren't correct. Still learning the ropes :) I'm also looking at investing in a canister filter too sometime in the future as they seem really good.

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
Are they bio ceramic noodles? If they are then it is very possible that it is where it is coming from.

jamesmelb

Registered Member
Jan 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi smitty,

Yes, they are bio ceramic noodles.

Should I add an extra filter after the noodles to stop this from happening? Or is there another way I should go about it?

Thanks

david mcgregor

AC Members
Mar 29, 2010
hi, i have a aquastyle ar 980 3 filter trays i have , yes u have ure filter trays right. u dont have clean ure carbon every week it only lasts for 6- 8 wks so leave it till that time and change it. only use carbon to get rid of meds. i dont use it for my tanks. cloudy water because its still new tank it will settle down . hope ure not washing ure filter sponges every week that cause cloudy water it will put u threw mini cycle. ure filter floss will take care of particles. and if gravel hasnt been washed right it can cause cloudy water. have u got gunk on ure filter sponges and ceramic noodles because thats ure good bacteria. dont go what aquastye say in their book its wrong

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store