java fern growth? something growing off of leaves

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Can anyone tell me what is growing off of the bottom of these leaves? its not covering the plant but there are several brown fuzzy root things coming off of it. any help is much appreciated

photo51.JPG

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
It doesnt really look like roots to me, but they are only on the bottom of the leaves

photo52.JPG

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Looks like roots. Not of the Java Fern itself but its plantlets. Eventually they should start getting leaves and then the little parasites (well technically...okay they arn't really 'officially' parasites :grinno:) will detach and become new Java Ferns.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
Those are roots. That is how the plant reproduces itself. Sometimes a plant starts growing at the ends of the individual leaves as well.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
agreed. java ferns propagate by growing baby plants out of their leaves. those are the start of the baby plants.

mine usually grow out of the tips of the leaves only.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
You also need to pull the base (rhizome) of that fern out of the gravel. It most likely will rot if buried. Better yet, tie the fern to a rock or driftwood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store